KS editing with old eyes

• 8 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
KS editing with old eyes
« on: July 23, 2023, 14:01:24 »
Over the past week of working on my level again I've found myself practically crawling into my laptop screen trying to see what I was doing in the teeny tiny KS Editor window. Since there's no fullscreen option: any tips for a screen resolution I could set my laptop's screen to that will improve this situation? I've tried quite a few already but they all messed pretty badly with how text and numbers were displayed in the editor's interface, creating an overall "blurred" (not quite the right word but can't think of another) effect. Is there any way to... embiggen the editor and keep everything crisp at the same time?

ETA: Sorry, wrong board, I just realised. Tried to delete but it seems that's not possible!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 14:05:37 by Hmpf »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
Re: KS editing with old eyes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 04:38:51 »
Sadly, there's no way to do that. I've asked for the feature added before to egomassive's KS+ editor and the best useful facsimile was a feature that lets you tap space while in the editor to get a 2x or 3x zoom of the screen you're working on. I usually end up checking how the level looks at larger resolutions by testing in that editor because when you test it in KS+ it will zoom (basically blow up the screen without any aliasing) to what your monitor can fit, usually 3x the normal size of KS if you screen is 1080. If your screen is 1440 I assume you could get 4x zoom but I don't have a monitor big enough to check.

Anyway, you should probably use KS+ editor right now even if you aren't making a level with KS+ features because it's just easier to use. I personally couldn't live without the zoom feature when testing or playing a level anymore, normal KS size seems impossibly tiny now.
http://egomassive.com/ks/

There is another editor being worked on right now for KS that might have a feature like this in the future. But who knows how far off that could be. You should come to the discord (link at the top of the forum) most people are much more active there than here nowadays.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 17:09:11 »
Sadly, there's no way to do that. I've asked for the feature added before to egomassive's KS+ editor

What?! Is the KS+ editor just as tiny? Oh no! :D Was kinda hoping it wasn't, after learning that it exists. I'm still familiarising myself with everything that's happened in the last 10 years... so many useful-looking new tools and stuff! Haven't tried the new editor yet because I'm still finding my legs again in the *old* one.

and the best useful facsimile was a feature that lets you tap space while in the editor to get a 2x or 3x zoom of the screen you're working on.

Well, that does sound useful. Will check that out!

Maybe I should just hurry up and get new glasses. :D (My eyes aren't that bad, actually, I can read without glasses etc. but low-contrast knytting in the old editor is proving a bit too much.)

Anyway, you should probably use KS+ editor right now even if you aren't making a level with KS+ features because it's just easier to use. I personally couldn't live without the zoom feature when testing or playing a level anymore, normal KS size seems impossibly tiny now.

But will the level then not be playable on KS+ *exclusively*? Or is that the default platform everybody uses these days anyway?

You should come to the discord (link at the top of the forum) most people are much more active there than here nowadays.

I probably should, yeah!

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 20:07:03 »
Hi! Everyone uses KS+, I suggest you work with it! However you can certainly make a non-plus level on the KS+ editor, and I recommend the plus editor because it's amazing. You should come to the Discord, there's a channel in it called #editinghelp which is the best part of the community imo! Some great discussions go down in there although I think it's been a little slow because it's summer and people are on vacation and such. I go by @lucindaliberty on there, you can DM me there (or on here) if you want some help and encouragement, I could find music for you as well or you could use some of my songs.

Also, the new KS editor is potentially going to come out pretty soon, the developer is making good progress on it.

Another edit: just realized that there are TWO new editors in progress
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 06:37:19 by Lucinda »
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 15:11:15 »
You should come to the Discord,

I will! Just really pressed for time this week and thus not wanting to tempt myself into extended chat sessions. Next week, maybe/hopefullly...

I could find music for you as well or you could use some of my songs.

Thanks! Though I'm leaning more and more towards making my own, maybe. I dunno. Got some time to think about that yet, I guess - still got stuff to build, and a lot of tedious shifts and warps and dialogue to integrate, lol. (Oh god, relearning shifting and warping...)

Also, the new KS editor is potentially going to come out pretty soon, the developer is making good progress on it.

Wow!!! I guess the community is alive and well, if there's still so many new tools coming out!!

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 15:24:38 »

two? is yknytt getting an editor?

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 20:51:09 »

An editor is something I would love to implement in yknytt. I can't promise it 100%, but it's definitely on the radar!

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 18:51:31 »

I've been tinkering on my old unreleased editor. Most of the major functionality has been finished for a very long time, so the plan is to cut the unnecessary features, add modern necessities like scaling, and sand off the rough edges.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 00:28:59 »
Sounds like we'll be spoiled for tools, soon! :-)))