• 1 Replies

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
Knytt Reverse
« on: September 20, 2023, 23:17:52 »
Background
This exchange transpired a few days ago on Niffcord:
Quote from: Discord
Hmpf Macslow: Hey, why is the wind in Knytt world always blowing from the right? I'm making a level about a part of the (real) world where the wind is nearly always blowing from the west (left, in KS terms), and basically allll the trees in all the tilesets that are wind-bent are bent the wrong direction; the dust object blows only left to right; the leaf object likewise... 😄
Hmpf Macslow: (Are there custom objects that reverse the direction? But that still leaves all the trees.)
Pie: Mirror every tileset/screen and then add a sign that says right is west
Pie: Hmm...now I want to do that to The Machine for science
Lucinda: omg pls
As a result, I made a tool to generate a mirror image of any level.

Features
In addition to reflecting map data and graphical assets, it can
  • Adjust shifts, triggers, warps, map spoofing, and custom object offsets;
  • Adjust the default save file;
  • Replace objects with their mirrored versions if available (some are approximate, like birds and fish); and
  • Reposition wide objects (e.g. the wide spike bar, 6:1) if possible (it won't overwrite another object).
Object replacement/repositioning even works on custom objects that use vanilla object behaviors.

Some people requested silly features like reversing the music and cutscenes, so I have included those as options. Audio processing is handled by a separate command line program called sox which is bundled with this program. If you don't want to use it, just delete the sox folder.

Usage
For basic usage, drag the level's folder onto knytt_reverse.exe. It will create a new level in your worlds folder with "(reversed)" appended to the original level's name. The original level will not be changed in any way. If you want to change the options, run knytt_reverse --help on the command line or see the examples below.

Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)

Download

Issues
I don't intend to spend any more time on this, but let me know if you run into any problems and I'll see if they can be fixed easily. Known issues are listed below.

Spoiler: Known issues (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 01:51:05 by Pie_Sniper »

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
Re: Knytt Reverse
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 06:52:19 »
Absolute genius
Rome wasn't built in a day.