[Challenge][Normal][Small]BIG PIXELS

• 9 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
[Challenge][Normal][Small]BIG PIXELS
« on: November 22, 2023, 19:08:28 »
Yes, I know, I disappear for ten years and now, suddenly, two new levels?? I'm as surprised as anyone.

This one wasn't supposed to happen. I was just playing around with a silly idea, this past weekend: What if I used the clusters of single-colour tiles included in some tilesets as paintbrushes? I started making some screens, quickly, no more than a few minutes spent on each screen, just to get a sense of what one could do with that idea. It kind of accidentally began to take the shape of a level that *almost* looked like it could be a challenge level, so I started retrofitting challenges into it. I could use the practice, anyway.

I think more can be done with this visual concept if I allow myself more than a few minutes per screen, so maybe I'll return to it someday.

I also want to learn the basics of making challenge levels, so I'll probably make a few more quick, small ones in the near/medium-term future. (Not necessarily all with this particular look. :D)

This isn't exactly the most beautiful thing I've ever made, but it was a lot of fun to make. I hope it'll be fun to play, too.

Download link:

https://knyttlevels.com/levels/Hmpf%20MacSlow%20-%20BIG%20PIXELS%20-%20v1.1.knytt.bin

UPDATE, December 3rd:

New version! Mostly cosmetic changes to a number of screens, but there's also one new powerup to find, and an associated "secret". Some screens aesthetically improved. Sign areas used consistently. Closed off a void/wallswim (plus two other areas where I figured that might happen, to players who insist on looking around every corner and edge). One critter challenge slightly improved (though it's still the wrong critter for that stage of the game/that area/that screen design. Oh well, I'm learning.) Cat credit added. Music added to party. Etc. Download new version above.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 23:25:06 by Hmpf »

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
Re: [Challenge][Normal][Small]BIG PIXELS
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 01:08:55 »
Super cool and fun little level with a very intriguing artistic choice. Some of the endings were extremely silly and made me laugh a lot.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Really great to have you here and making stuff :D
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 13:01:24 »
Super cool and fun little level with a very intriguing artistic choice. Some of the endings were extremely silly and made me laugh a lot.
Really great to have you here and making stuff :D

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it, and that it made you laugh! The first sort of organically evolved from the Nurykabe tileset...

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 15:43:18 »
That part was amazing.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 00:27:59 »
Another great level! Simple concept executed very well. :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 10:03:35 »
Thanks, Purple Ink!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 21:16:07 »
This is really funny and unique looking level. I already replayed it two times and I'm still finding new endings so there will be some more.
It's great how you managed to make ground and sky look so distinct even with so limited means, there were very few places where I wasn't sure what is solid and what is not (mainly the machine tileset part). I would definitely love to see some more levels with this look.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 21:36:57 »
Thanks, Polana!

There are five endings and two locked rooms, in total.

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 08:10:39 »
Locked rooms?! I'd better play one more time

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 23:00:54 »
Updated version! One new secret! For details, see start of thread.