Gustav's Contest (WINNERS ANNOUNCED DEC 1 2023)

• 26 Replies

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
Gustav's Contest (WINNERS ANNOUNCED DEC 1 2023)
« on: March 10, 2023, 02:46:09 »
The verdict is in!

SECOND PLACE
StraightFlame - Gustav's Planets https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=7367.msg76420#msg76420
This is a very funny level. It's intentionally bad in every way possible: void screens, plants on layer 3, getting warped to the sky, mixing up Sign and Sign Area, cheesy names ("Planet Lunasky"), creatures walking on air, and misspellings. It also employs high effort attempts to make the level shitty, such as a modified powerup that you don't acquire upon touch. File this next to Badly Built Level and Museum of Bad Lvl Design. It also serves as a commentary on lunatic game physics exploits, almost like a message to Gliperal. This level seems like it was made quickly, and you can feel some of that "fun" element where StraightFlame was flying by the seat of his pants. It's a close race but I am ultimately awarding the first place to Polana, as her level was a high-effort affair and Gustav's Planets comes off as more of a quick, fun project.

FIRST PLACE
Polana - Gustav's Abstraction https://knyttlevels.com/levels/Polana%20-%20Gustav%27s%20Abstraction.knytt.bin
This is basically a remake of Liquid Soap in the style of Gustav's Daughter. The wavy colors tileset is genuinely amazing, and some of the small CO details truly made the level--like the flickering portals, the first implementation of Fubaka's black save points, and the enormous amount of recolored enemies. It's a very well made, high-effort project with great challenges and graphics, but I think due to its two influences, this level lacks a distinct identity. Like Gustav and Juni in the level itself, this level is caught between two worlds. I also found the Nifflas music a bit ineffective in some parts. I did like the use of the waterfall music, as it seemed like a direct tribute to the original waterfall in GD. Also, the hard version is damn hard! People who primarily like KS for its challenges should definitely check this level. A really solid effort overall.

THE VISIONARY AWARD
Shreeps - Gustav's Retribution https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=7391.0
Shreeps ignored my suggestion to keep the level small. He created a truly enormous level that is one of the biggest that this entire game has to offer. Thus, I was not able to finish it, although I did play some of it and watch Anton stream the truly lunatic ending. That's why I'm not ranking it, but giving it its own special category. What I did see was some of the most shockingly creative stuff ever made for this game. For example, the way you "chop down trees" with a key-axe and then collect the logs, which are artifacts; and the "flying" powerup made via invisible wind. I also took note of the way Kilicool64 developed an intense interest in this level and wrote a combined 7,000 words of feedback on the forum (about 13 document pages) and created a nearly 10 hour long playthrough of the level. She also managed to create buzz around Shreeps's previous levels, which haven't been played enough. Thus, I am also giving Kilicool64 an award, which I am calling THE EAGLE EYE AWARD. StraightFlame tested this level, and so he gets a shoutout too.

Participants: if I don't already have your address, please message me yours so I can send you your award.

More submissions are coming too, and they will receive their own acknowledgements.

Original post:

Challenge: make a level inspired by Gustav's Daughter. Some people have already done this, and at least one of them has done an awesome job at it. Now we will continue telling the story of one of our most beloved NPCs.

Rules:

-Must be called "Gustav's ______"
-Gustav must have something or someone locked in his storage room and you need to go on a quest to find the key. So it's a challenge level I guess
-Must have some of those stalactite umbrella jumps like in the original level's cave
-Should probably be on the smaller side--if you want to make a gigantic level, it'd better be pretty impressive
-Must use a "world map" setup. You can use any existing world-mappy tileset or make your own. I attached a few things to help out
-You must start this level from scratch
-These "rules" are all pretty flexible

Prizes: first and second prize and maybe even third prize will receive a handwritten postcard from Lucinda, as long as you live in an area that accepts mail from the United States. It is also possible I may make you a beaded necklace
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 00:42:10 by Lucinda »
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
Re: Gustav's Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 05:09:49 »
will whip up something wacky as usual for this

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 05:20:40 »
Thank you Wibi I look forward to your wacky adventure

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 08:01:47 »
I'd participate if i weren't already making a Gustav-like that breaks half of these rules.

I'll still try to release it before the contest deadline and fit in a stalactite umbrella jump.

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 08:45:41 »
Please do this!!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 22:43:26 »
Count me in.

I have one question though. How world mapey has the world map in the level be ? Would for example long corridor with several doors be sufficient ?

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 18:16:19 »
I think in general I allow for very flexible interpretation of the rules because this is a creative space, not a government form. :^^: So, yes, go for the doors

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 02:49:06 »
Should we say what titles we're planning to use for our levels to avoid potential duplication, or would it be funnier to let chaos reign?

Offline Wibi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 05:14:02 »
if conflicts ensue apply gratuitous subtitles ("Gustav's Wi-Fi Router: A Quest Through Time And Space")

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 00:10:55 »
Good question. I think people should message me beforehand telling me what their level titles are, and if there are duplicates, I can coach them toward potentially using a slightly different title. I've already seen firsthand what confusion the two Yggdrasil levels have caused, we can't have it happening again.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 01:57:02 »
Okay, I decided to make the level. I still have no specific idea, but I hope when I write it officially here, I will keep it in mind. The level will probably be small and short.

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2023, 12:09:22 »
Okay, i changed my mind and decided to make a level for this contest anyway.
Here it is. It's called Gustav's Planets.

This is my first time making a Knytt Stories level, but hopefully it'll still be fun to play. Maybe i'll even win this contest?

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Wibi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 13:42:46 »
This is my first time making a Knytt Stories level, but hopefully it'll still be fun to play. Maybe i'll even win this contest?
GOOD level :) however I found a bug: the A button makes u walk instead of run? Idk if you can fix.  This has inspired me to crack open the editor & make my own ks level (preview screenshot) thank you
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 13:44:23 by Wibi »

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2023, 06:46:40 »
Congratulations StraightFlame on an incredible submission, a comet shooting through the night on our Knytt night sky