Knytt Nano (Original by Nifflas) [KS+] [Environmental/Maze] [Easy] [Small]

• 6 Replies

Offline Lit Knob

• Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
    • View Profile
Spoiler: What is Knytt Nano? (click to show/hide)

Have you ever wondered what Knytt Nano would look like, if you could see "the whole screen" at once?
Well... This is the answer.

I recreated Knytt Nano by using the tilesets, gradients, and custom objects I made after extracting the original assets.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Even though this might look like it is my first level, it's actually the third one (and the first two are still unfinished).

If you know about Knytt Nano, you can easily assume why "posting screenshots" wouldn't be a very bright idea in this case. :P

Thanks to Lucinda and Polana for inspiring me to make this level.
I was (and still am) planning to make a Knytt Nano tribute at some point, but not as small and faithful as this.

Spoiler: Known issues (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 17:38:08 by Lit Knob »
"The flaw expert" -egomassive

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
pretty cool. are the tiles with noclimb on them also noclimb in the original knytt nano? (i always thought the reason you couldn't cornerjump in knytt nano was just the physics being different.) if not it would've been cool to put some extra secrets in the top-left and top-right corners

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
In Knytt Nano, there's no "coyote jump", so Nifflas didn't need to make no climb objects, as cornerjumps are impossible without coyote.

If this level didn't have no climb tiles, you wouldn't need to take the cloud path to find the third clue, if you knew how to cornerjump, and I would need to put "rewards" for skilled players, for reaching the top corners of the level.

Since I wanted to be as faithful as possible, I decided to go with no climb to "fix coyote".

As I said, I plan to make a more "KS-esque" take, and it will be possible to reach the corners in it.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
Very cute. It indeed feels very different when you can see more than that small window of original Knytt nano, especially with zoom. I think the differences between KS and nano were handled well with how different run and walk work in these two games and so on.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
That was nice. The big view lowers the difficulty a lot.

I didn't notice any rendering issues myself. COs don't always finish loading on the first pass. The inconsistency depends largely on how windows forces this 50 fps game to v-sync at 60 fps. It gets worse the more COs are on screen and the older your PC is.

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
That's weird because since the release of the 1080.exe I always change the refresh rate to 50 when I play KS.
The oldest component of my machine is from 2017, so unless 4 COs are enough to make single pass fail (maybe it also depends on their resolution?) I don't know.

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
V2: Removed no-climb tiles, and added half a tile to the ledge in the bottom-right screen, and the top corners of the level, to prevent unwanted cornerjumps properly.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 18:03:35 by Lit Knob »