custom characters from projects that never went anywhere

• 2 Replies

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
custom characters from projects that never went anywhere
« on: January 06, 2023, 07:11:04 »
(see here for revised versions with better positioning & walk cycles)

i could just say "hi here's 3:13 and 3:12 and a robot with no arms as custom characters" but because i am actively evil i am going to waste your time and leech brainpower that would be better spent reading any other text[1] and explain what these characters were originally made for and why, even though you can repurpose them for anything.

VG (3:13 Eskimo): from 2019 project "Vegetal Gibber vs. Talps" Which was intended to be a sequel to the amazing "Talps vs. Vegetal Gibber" featured on Corrupt-a-Wish and include pastiches of various VG and Talps levels but ended up having like 10 screens finished in total. VG is 3:13 because he was 3:13 in LpChip 100 Stars Level which at the time was a reference to a level that might never release. janky dumb-looking walk cycle.

Wiz (3:12 Eskimo): from 2019 project "Maneuvers" (which used to be named something else, like "The Wizard" or "The Wizard King", i forget which) about a wizard king who all the people love who turns out to be a fascist dictator who starved the townspeople and produced propaganda and children's books about how great he is, and the plot is that juni is causing a revolt and he has to go and stop juni but at the end juni kills him. it was a sequel to the Press A to Slow Down Zone portion of The Cursed Gallery but also had an area where you could just go around a town and talk to NPCs and there was a secret ending where you meet "Be'esem'naat, Ruler of the Infinite Realm of Suspended House Interiors" if you clip out of bounds of the inside of a house by using that trick Glip demonstrates in Prison Break where if you're falling and then shift to another screen with solid tiles in different places then collision is ignored for 1 frame although i found it separately and also that secret ending was like 50% of the work put into the level it was pretty incomplete this is a sentence.

Scrimblo: aka "Scout". from a 2022 project where Juni builds a robot to interact with the outside world because she has People Problems and the robot meets some people who are assholes so Juni immediately warps it back home and is like "see i was right" and forces it to shut down. very cheery. later reused for another project in the cutuplevels canon where Juni and her peculiar friends live together, and one day she leaves behind a note that says "i'm taking a one-week vacation also you guys are weird", and Scout and another character named Void (collectively "the Remnants") have to go find her because Scout insists she was kidnapped or something and drags Void into it. it was meant partially as a pastiche of Devil's Triangle, and the two characters have different powers and can swap in certain places. both of these projects died pretty quickly. "abagail" is a name with significance in the NCR Lore ("significant in the NCR Lore" is a good way to refer to things no-one wants to talk about). also it has no arms and it detaches its head when it uses hologram which is pretty neat i think.

1. except the script of The Giant Spider Invasion (1975)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 14:41:17 by canteven / ncrecc »

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
Re: custom characters from projects that never went anywhere
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 20:47:36 »
So cool. NPCs will rise up and compete with Juni!
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
Re: custom characters from projects that never went anywhere
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 14:40:32 »
revisions by lit knob that correct the holo opacity, fix the sprite positioning, remove the hair misinterpreted as arm in the climbing animation inherited from Talps's "Beanie" spritesheet, fix the arm swinging around weirdly in the walk cycle, and probably misc fixes from the era of the Divine Inerrant Juni Rip No-one Questioned