[Challenge/Maze/Scenic] [Hard/Very hard] [Large] [KS+]Hostile landscape

• 13 Replies

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
When I started building this level, it was supposed to be much smaller. The maze part was supposed to be simple underwater tunnel with some challenges and the final cave was not planned at all so if this level feels to you like three levels hastily stitched into one, you're right. It's a bit messed up and with lots of backtracking. I started playing with the tileset in the editor without any idea for the finished level so the "story" only came later, mostly to justify why it looks so unpleasant. I apologise in advance for any damage done to your screens and retinas.

Download here.

Download here (fixed version).

Download here (fixeder version).

Download here (the fixedest version).

Also, Lit Knob made a nice map of this level. It contains all of the secrets though so look at it at your own discretion.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 21:35:34 by Polana »

Offline Lit Knob

• Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
    • View Profile
Yes, my eyes may have died a bit, but I love those OCOs, music, and overall mood. I'd say it's on the Large part of the spectrum though, that's a huge maze. Difficulty tag is right.
Good job. :hiddenstar:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 20:31:51 by Lit Knob »
"The flaw expert" -egomassive

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
I'm glad you liked the level, especially the brutally unfair cave. I was afraid people would find it too unfair. There might be another level set on the island because whenever Juni gets on nice tropical island, some weird stuff happens.

Thank you so much for the advice on how to fix the COs. I was quite fed up with all of the COs that I just took the frames from Knytt DS (which has many errors) and called it a day. I'll eventually make fixed version.

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
That's because the hologram reduces its unfairness :P

Oh, I would love a "Shipwrecked, But It's Format=4"

I completely agree that sprite sheets in KSDS are awful and shouldn't be used as templates.
However, that wasn't the only issue.
Spoiler: Nature of the issues (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 22:10:53 by Lit Knob »

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
I checked the new version.
Spoiler: Here's what I found (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 20:16:02 by Lit Knob »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Nice level!
Top-left corner of x1009y1007 doesn't have walls. Also, middle of x1027y1011.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 12:50:57 by GrayFace »

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
Oh wow, I didn't notice that.
Eagle-eyed as always, GrayFace!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
@ GrayFace: I'm glad you liked it and thank you for noticing those bugs. It seems I'll have to make another version eventually.
@Lit Knob: There's indeed nothing. That part of the level was meant to be unfair and confusing after all. Post the map if you want.

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
@Lit Knob: There's indeed nothing. That part of the level was meant to be unfair and confusing after all. Post the map if you want.
Oh, ok. That makes sense.

I just posted the map.

Spoiler: Friendly reminder (click to show/hide)

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
 Glad you liked the map. :^^:

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
The newest link is broken.
I just posted the map.
Where?

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
Oh, thanks. For some reason firefox copied just the name of the level and not the entire adress. Fixed.

LK posted the map in another post on this forum and I made link to it in the first post (working).

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
I have to be honest. I didn't think I would like this level at first but by the end I realised I really did enjoy it. The maze had me confused for a bit so that extended the gameplay but overall I didn't find it too difficult. I agree with Lit. This is probably a large level rather than medium. But, there's no real consensus on what that actually means so I guess it doesn't actually matter what it's labelled as. Anyway, great job! :)

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
This instantly became one of my favorite Knytt levels. It's like Deep Freeze meets Knytt Underground. We need more hardcore mazes on this forum.
Rome wasn't built in a day.