A Strange Dream map (Spoilers)

• 3 Replies

Offline Lit Knob

• Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
    • View Profile
A Strange Dream map (Spoilers)
« on: May 07, 2022, 03:31:34 »

Recently, I thought of the fact that its gradients are way more "connected" than The Machine's. They feel like a single huge sky split into smaller parts.
At this point, I had at least 5 reasons to make a map.

Spoiler: Missing stuff (click to show/hide)

Full Scale

Half Scale

One Quarter Scale
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 23:26:12 by Lit Knob »
"The flaw expert" -egomassive

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
Re: A Strange Dream map (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 04:30:57 »
I just realized: You will never find that run orb in-game because you already have one upon starting the level.
It's probably a leftover.

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 16:01:17 »
I just realized: You will never find that run orb in-game because you already have one upon starting the level.
It's probably a leftover.
Huh. That's interesting. Yeah, that would have been a pretty bad idea. It would have forced players to go to the right first and thus mislead them that this is the direction they're supposed to take when the level is actually open to being explored in many different directions.

The run orb's existence was just a bad idea to begin with. While you can design levels with progress blocks that require it, playing the game without the ability to run just isn't fun. I'm not surprised it's an unwritten rule among level designers to always either put it in the starting inventory or make it accessible extremely quickly.

Offline Lit Knob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 01:34:30 »
Yes, I agree.
I remember playing Dark Alleys and It Waits. Even though it's somewhat justified in them, it was still annoying, especially Dark Alleys, since it's a maze with flat screens.