What is the etiquette for remixing someone else's level?

• 2 Replies

Offline pacifishi

• Av intet blir intet
    • View Profile
What is the etiquette for remixing someone else's level?
« on: December 31, 2021, 19:50:54 »
Hej hej,

I've finally began to dip my toes into level creation after lurking here for years. To help with the difficulty curve, I had the idea of "remixing" one of my favorite levels, currently rated medium, into a hard/very-hard version.

I would take the most care to do the original map justice and give credit to the original level and level creator in the title card.

A few questions:

1. Is this an acceptable thing to do or is it frowned upon?

2. As far as naming the level how should it relate to the original? Let's say the original is "The Dithered Temple" (not a level I'm considering remixing, just an example)

Would it be:

- "The Dithered Temple (Remix)"
- "The Withered Temple"    <- similar name
- Something completely different                     

3. Are added obstacles, challenges "enough" to differentiate the level from the original, or is it expected to also have custom graphics and new areas?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: What is the etiquette for remixing someone else's level?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 07:12:08 »
I'd suggest reaching out to the original author to see how they feel about it. If you can't get a response, I think it's fine to go ahead as long as you give credit where it's due. As for questions 2 and 3, go with your gut.

For a little history on the topic: Ixmarcel, Grayface, and I have all fixed buggy levels and re-released them. I recently took an unfinished level and completed it. I did get in touch with the original author and they not only gave me their OK, they made some new content for it. Additionally there have been many spoofs of Nifflas' The Machine, and last year we started a group project to remake it entirely.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 07:13:42 by egomassive »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: What is the etiquette for remixing someone else's level?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 13:58:18 »
If you really are remixing the level, then people usually are okay with it, but get permission if you can beforehand.

That said: if you download a level, make a few changes but most of the level is completely the same, then its not considered a remix.

A remix is basically, create a new level that is heavily inspired by the original where there are sections you can recognise from the original, but also have completely new sections that were not in the original. If its too close to the original without any new sections, its considered a cover, not a remix, and unless very careful planning and execution was done, most people will think you are trying to rip off the original level and claim it as your own, or just not find enough changes to warrant their time.

So if you can add enough new things to the level and also make it harder, I'm pretty sure everyone will love it and the author of the level will not mind you remixing the level.

As level name, the first option or something similar would work best I'd say, but if you find a really good title that explains the changes, that would also work.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 14:00:42 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex