[Challenge/Misc][Normal][Small] Save the High Jump Again

• 7 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
[Challenge/Misc][Normal][Small] Save the High Jump Again
« on: December 24, 2021, 18:11:23 »
It's here folks! The totally unofficial sequel crossover holiday extravaganza thingy nobody was expecting!

[ Save the High Jump Again ] (file size: ~2.6MB)

This short level contains references to both Save the High Jump by CWolvie and also to my own The Bluebird of Happiness (including spoilers for one of the latter's endings, so you might want to play it beforehand!). It's a challenge level with some light story, featuring remixed versions of some of my previous tilesets and my own spin on a couple traditional Spanish Christmas songs 8) A bit of a warning though: although I originally aimed for a "Normal" difficulty level, the end result is a bit on the hard side in some screens. Hopefully it's not a dealbreaker, but if you think otherwise please let me know so I may either reclassify the level or fix the difficulty spikes.

KS+ is NOT required, although using it enables a few extra animations and adds 7 collectible stars (which are just for added challenge and don't unlock anything).

Hope you have fun! Don't expect much though, as this is just something I cooked up mostly in the past two days since my Christmas vacation started :P2  As always, please feel free to leave your feedback and/or bug reports here. Happy holidays everyone!
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Challenge/Misc][Normal][Small] Save the High Jump Again
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 06:53:04 »
Thank you for this holiday surprise. I think I'll replay these other levels you mentioned first as it's been a while. But then, I'll give it a spin.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 17:39:52 »
Cute level! Loved the festive atmosphere.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 22:13:07 »
Very nice. The challenges were indeed on the hard side of normal/hard but they weren't too hard. That green earth being disguised as knyttmas tree was funny.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 16:14:23 by Polana »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 17:02:13 »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

@ego: if you want a quick recap, you can go directly for the Red+Yellow key ending (or, alternatively, just check the contents of the "SecretEnding" folder), since that's the one this level is based on.

@pfrangip: every ending is canon if you believe it in your heart (especially when it's convenient for the spinoff you're making! :P2 )

@Polana: the idea for that OCO came from this picture made by ristos:
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 22:46:31 »
I was glad to play through those older levels in preparation for this, especially since I had never played The Bluebird of Happiness. This level was quite enjoyable in it's own right. I'd always shipped Juni with that guy in the blue cap, but it's hard to beat a guy with great hair.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 22:12:40 »
This level was great! Really liked the whole feel of the level and the Knyttmas areas were really cute. Initially I thought the stars were to unlock something so spent quite some time running around trying to find it. It wasn't until I reread the thread that I saw they were just an optional challenge.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 12:59:50 »
Glad you enjoyed it!  I actually intended to add a remark about the bonus collectibles in...

...but then I completely forgot and only remembered when I was already posting the level here X)  I think I'll add an extra screen to address this.
Some KS levels by me: