[KS+][Challenge/Puzzle][Hard][Large] TigerNDV - Above the Clouds

• 5 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
With "go for it" from TigerNDV I'm starting a thread for his level. It's a medium-sized epic adventure for KS+ mod.
Download: https://knyttlevels.com/levels/TigerNDV%20-%20Above%20the%20Clouds%20v2.knytt.bin

My tip: Remember that in KS+ you can press Space+Down to save the game anywhere after you've activated cheats with Ctrl+Shift+C combination. If level's intended way of saving isn't your cup of tea, use this cheat instead, like I did.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 17:19:47 by GrayFace »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: [KS+][Challenge/Puzzle][Hard][Large] TigerNDV - Above the Clouds
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 17:11:02 »
So, my review - I loved it, great level!

Issues:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 18:43:13 »
It's another good level from TigerNDV, but a little too difficult again. I stuck it out with the single-save-point mechanic until I got to the other island. I nearly had it too, but it took me several more attempts in wrong directions before I found the right path. This is a really nice looking level between the custom tilesets and the custom objects. Most of the creative mechanisms worked well. The cloud trail and the saving system weren't the best, but they were interesting experiences.

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 15:29:38 »
Great notes all, I tried a lot of new things in this level and would agree some of the features didn't exactly turn out the greatest haha. I'm wondering if there is an interest in getting early playtesting on my levels before I officially release them?

My levels tend to contain several difficulty spikes, sometimes clunky mechanic/ideas/screens, and of course bugs. It would be awesome to iron these out before publishing!
Twist the rules, go where nobody has gone before.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 21:09:43 »
There an official beta recruitment thread here: https://nifflas.lp1.nl/index.php?topic=6259.0

When you want to beta test it would be best to ask there and on the discord. I find it's easy to get testers and feedback. You may need to recruit again for a second round of testing.

You should also test extensively yourself. If you can barely do something or you fail at it a lot, you should change it (unless your level is supposed to be super hard.)

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 22:39:15 »
Thanks!

I very much do test extensively myself, the first checkpoint just before the hard jump in the cave was placed there based on my own playthroughs. Before that you'd actually have to reset from the ground floor if you fell.

I am a hardcore KS player and I didn't personally find that jump very difficult (it was very intentionally very hard, I just didn't realize "how" hard it would be). But in the future I will likely offer a "difficulty" setting or "training mode" to assist players who don't want that challenge.

Not only do I play a lot during development but I also do a final playthrough after my map is "done" done before submitting to the archives. I think Beta testing will help me a lot.
Twist the rules, go where nobody has gone before.