[Music] OST for a fake game and other stuff

• 4 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
[Music] OST for a fake game and other stuff
« on: October 11, 2021, 13:18:40 »
So... I've been dabbling in OpenMPT a bit during the past few months, since I'm still pretty much a novice at making music and I wanted to get some practice. As usual, and just as I tend to do when making tilesets, I ended up creating a bunch of mostly random stuff just for the hell of it :P

Here's a soundtrack I made for a non-existent retro space shooter game (SoundCloud playlist with 5 tracks):
Star Carvo 2 OST

Some other songs, in no particular order and each one made in a completely different style:

An Underwater Melody
Not Really a NES Chiptune
Hidden Complex
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Music] OST for a fake game and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 09:54:08 »
I listened to them yesterday while I was programming and found it very hard to concentrate, so I gave them another listen today while picture editing. I like them. I can see them fitting well with various retro video games. In fact they feel familiar, like I could almost name the games these tracks are in. This feeling was the strongest with An Underwater Melody. Hidden Complex has me picturing a Metal Gear Solid clone with a cyberpunk theme.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 00:59:02 »
Thanks for giving these a listen, glad you liked them!

Funny thing is, with most of the songs I've composed until now, I ended up following a very similar approach to how I design KS levels: I start by trying out different samples/instruments in a single pattern, until I suddenly think "Hey, this sounds like it could be a track for a [insert game genre / scenario here]!"... and then I compose the rest of the song with that in mind :P2

For the Star Carvo soundtrack, my main source of inspiration were classic shoot'em up games from the Genesis/MegaDrive era (e.g. Zero Wing, Thunder Force...). In An Underwater Melody, all instruments are based on OPL2/3 FM synth samples, so the end result is very reminiscing of old DOS adventure games with AdLib/Soundblaster music (and probably heavily influenced by the games I played in my youth... hopefully I didn't plagiarize something inadvertedly!)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 15:59:15 »
Keep it up! <3

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 19:11:43 »
Thanks! I'll probably be adding more stuff from time to time, maybe something meant for KS use next time :)
Some KS levels by me: