Thank you to other Knytt Stories players!

• 4 Replies

Offline Corvus

• View Profile
Thank you to other Knytt Stories players!
« on: August 18, 2021, 22:37:41 »
Hey everyone, I just found this forum recently, and want to say thank you to the community for keeping Knytt Stories going!

My first Nifflas game was Knytt, ages ago.  It was perfect for me because I have very bad hand-eye coordination.  I played Knytt Stories later and also enjoyed it!  Although when Saira came out, it was too difficult for me (as was Within a Deep Forest) - I think I gave Finck a try but never finished it?  Anyway, I moved on and completely forgot about these, until I recently got very nostalgic and started to look up old games again.

I was very happy to discover Knytt Stories Plus, and being able to play in a larger window; then finding the level editor which could show me what things I'd missed.  And then I discovered fan-made levels existed...

I tried Saving Thallanil (?) - it started off pretty well until I reached the area with the umbrella and the spikes. That was when I realized there was no way I would ever get all the collectables.  So I kept going, and then the end became an action sequence requiring game skills... so that was the end of that.

It was nice to be able to play A Strange Dream again, and to find the weird side-rooms I'd missed. The secret area in normal mode took me over 30 tries to reach, but I made it.  Gustav's Daughter was right on the edge of my skills.  Gave up on An Underwater Adventure.

I tried Reditus and it's gigantic - I feel like I'm walking forever with no goal and there's too much map to remember. The ambience is good though, I may look up some of the music it uses.  I also tried A Knytt in time (Locp version?) - started off ok, but then I got busy and couldn't come back to it for a few days.  Couldn't remember what I'd already done, what switch puzzles were still active or not - or which way was forward progression or back.  The time travel made it very maze-like, and I did finally manage to reach an ending (4 out of 5 lasers turned off, 2 toasts) - but I don't think I'll be trying for completion, like Reditus, there was a lot of map detail to remember, and to re-explore to see I missed feels too daunting.

Anyway, I see an earlier poster has already asked about game recommendations - my tastes are similar (large-ish but not gigantic, exploratory, environmental) - not big on precise platforming challenges, frequent death, mazes, troll humor, or depressing cityscapes - so I'll dig into the earlier message thread and see what I can find?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Thank you to other Knytt Stories players!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 09:40:29 »
I think you might like Gaia 1.6b by Anyndel and Drakkan. It's a classic and it's huge, but there's no main goal. It's mainly about easy exploration with lots of little endings hidden all over.

Other large (but not too large), easy, good levels:
Riku Island by Kohdi
A Day at the Beach by Healy
Emma Fell, Down a Well by Bulbapuck

And here are some good, easy levels that are small (but not too small):
Knytt on the Moon by Imaddo
A Walk at Night by Quincent Cartographer (non-depressing cityscape)
Through the Swamp by egomassive
The Lighthouse by Dessgeega

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:42:30 by egomassive »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 16:15:32 »
My first "The Explore Challenge" is a pretty easy map. Its not easy in the sense that its a breeze to play, but its skills are more in puzzle solving than quick reflexes.

It came with the official expansion pack, but can also be found at knyttlevels.com. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Corvus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 02:37:29 »
It came with the official expansion pack, but can also be found at knyttlevels.com. :)

Ooh, what's/where's this expansion pack?

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 13:09:27 »
It's here.

Some other levels that might fit your taste:

Dungeon by Evangelos
Harvest by Farik
Temple of the sun and Yggdrasil by Fegon
White city by HeadGrinder
Remembering the city by HmpfMacSlow
Another journey by Immaddo
Another strange dream by James Orth
Mashu Prapa  by Salmoneous
Natural by Shawnachu.