My Friend Jerry [Easy/Puzzle/Misc] - TigerNDV

• 23 Replies
My Friend Jerry [Easy/Puzzle/Misc] - TigerNDV
« on: July 13, 2021, 03:04:37 »
Hey everyone, I'm back! After several weeks of hard work on my downtime, I present "My Friend Jerry" my most ambitious and epic map to date! Please let me know what you think and how you played this adventure!

Due to the scale and scope of this map there is more than likely several bugs, please let me know if you find any! Thanks for being an awesome community!

https://knyttlevels.com/levels/TigerNDV%20-%20My%20Friend%20Jerry.knytt.bin
Twist the rules, go where nobody has gone before.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
Re: My Friend Jerry [Easy/Puzzle/Misc] - TigerNDV
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 14:23:04 »
Cool level. I didn't notice any bugs, unless you count that trashbags where I already got coins are still glowing. I got to 5th ending, so I'll replay it eventually because I have no idea how to get to the first three endings.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 18:53:44 »
Glad you enjoyed it, I had to allow the trash bags to work that way since I ran out of flags haha.

In terms of endings:
After trading an Umbrella, you have to meet the guy in Evlock Park (far East) and deny taking over his job at the Purple Shades club, this will lead you to endings 1, 2 and 3. (Ending 2 is my personal favorite)

For endings 4,5,6 they all occur at Lonwi Dam depending on where you go and what you have. If you enter the Tar Fields (Requires Master Keycode) then you'll have access to endings 5,6. If you enter past the blast doors you'll access ending 4.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 11:25:19 »
OK, I'll try it this way.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 18:18:31 »
I had a bunch more ideas for endings and city events, the kidnapped child was one of those! But, as usual I started to run out of time and wanted to make sure I actually finished the map haha, I have so many unfinished maps on my drive that started to get too big.

I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope you try again for Ending 2 since it is by far the most epic in my opinion!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 01:43:18 »
I'm enjoying the game. I've only done one play-through so far, but I wanted to mention that you can use coins for flag checks. I added that to KS+ sometime last year specifically for situations like this where the coins are hidden but have indicators.
Code: (example) [Select]
;This checks if you have coin 76, not if you have 76 coins.
[x1000y1009]
Flag(B)=Coin76
FlagWarpX(B)=1

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 02:01:00 »
Thanks for giving the level a go! Which ending did you get?

On your note about coins, is this syntax hidden/unavailable from the editor UI and only possible via script?
Can I also Flag-on a coin via shift by editing the script in this way?

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 02:57:36 »
Wow. This sure was an experience.

Spoiler: Bugs i found (click to show/hide)

Also,
but I wanted to mention that you can use coins for flag checks. I added that to KS+ sometime last year specifically for situations like this where the coins are hidden but have indicators.
Does this mean we essentially have 100 more flags to work with now? If so, that's... insane.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 03:14:23 »
Thanks for playing and all the great bug reports! Hope you enjoyed yourself, I'm also SUPER curious on that 100 flag potential... That seems insane(ly awesome), also what happens if the coins are spent?

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 06:14:48 »
I've now seen endings 4, 5, and 6.

About the coins:
Q: Does this mean we essentially have 100 more flags to work with now?
A: Yes

Q: Is this syntax hidden/unavailable from the editor UI and only possible via script?
A: You have to write it in. Since you choose conditions from a drop-down list there was no easy way to integrate this into the interface, aside from making that drop-down list really long.

Q: Can I also Flag-on a coin via shift by editing the script in this way?
A: No. However, you can use ShiftHide to activate a trigger which spawns a specific coin to the screen. Or, if the coin is given with a sign, then you can use SignTrig to spawn the coin. You can subtract from the total coins with ShiftCoin. You can also add to the total by using ShiftCoin with a negative value. Adding is an unintended behavior and may cause problems.

Q: What happens if the coins are spent?
A: Coin flag checks only check if the a specific coin has been collected. It doesn't care what the total is. There are 6 pieces of data that are tracked for coins. Four of them are numbers that track the collection of individual coins. In the save file they are seen as large decimal numbers, but internally they are treated as 25 bit storage bins. That's 100 bits for 100 coins. The other 2 values track your current coin total and how many have been spent.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 06:17:09 by egomassive »

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 02:01:11 »
Wow, this level has a LOT going on! No endings yet, but I am enjoying playing around.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 05:01:22 »
Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far, sometimes saying no to something that seems obvious can lead to a whole new chain of events! Excited to hear what ending you ultimately find!

Thanks Ego for all the notes, good to know!

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 05:33:08 »
So... I actually kinda like this level! I can tell you put a bunch of effort into it, and it shows. Although I've only got one ending so far, but before I (eventually) post my final thoughts on the level, I want to ask you a question: are there any music/tileset credits for the level anywhere? I didn't see any in the level folder or in the OP...

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 20:04:40 »
In terms of credits, all the Music is all free-use music I got from EpidemicSound via my partnership program.
The tilesets are mostly my own, with a mix of some pre-existing tiles that have been used in other levels, is this something I should be including in my levels? I figure most of the credits are self-contained in the tileset files themselves.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 00:44:01 »
I really like this level. Haven't gotten all the endings yet but, man, this level is fun! I really like the art and music too. I've found a couple things like wallswims and such but not so much that it ruined the experience.