The Disappearance [Medium/Environmental/Challenge] - TigerNDV

• 12 Replies
Hey everyone! I only recently found out that Knytt+ was a thing and after seeing some of the new features it offers I got inspired to make a new map! So I present "The Disappearance" (also available via Knyttlevels.com) please give a a try and let me know what you think! Thanks for being an awesome community!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dPmDIeSyMd6DMhYXAic1lNFm1AVx_Ik9/view?usp=sharing
Twist the rules, go where nobody has gone before.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: The Disappearance [Medium/Environmental/Challenge] - TigerNDV
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 18:10:39 »
This was fun. There aren't many KS levels that create the suspense found here. The new tilesets are are good and mesh nicely with the original tiles. I found some of the monsters a little frustrating though.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 18:33:14 »
Good point, I think I went a little heavy handed on some of those encounters, especially the ice section in Orrinshire Forest... Haha, thanks for the feedback!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 23:16:28 »
It's great level with very unexpected ending. It reminded me of one of those old Farik's level like Hunt or Harvest: interesting story, good original graphics etc. Only thing I did not like were some of the obstacles, for example combination of randomly behaving enemies at x1015y1010 or some screens at ice section.

Also, I discovered some minor bugs:
Wallswim between x1009y1019 and x1008y1019.
I somehow got myself into void after I obtained purple key by going left from one screen in the ritual section, but I'm not able to pinpoint where and how it happened.

Other than that, everything works as intended.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 23:29:06 by Polana »

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 22:35:24 »
Dang, good level! I'll admit I did cheat a little bit to get past a few of the challenges because honestly I was not in the mood to re-do screens without the run powerup, but overall? Great level. Great atmosphere, great music, good story. Wasn't expecting that ending, but the atmosphere pretty much made up for it. The only thing I'd change is that I'd classify the level's difficulty as Hard and not Medium, but that's just me I guess. :V

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 15:38:34 »
Thanks for the feedback guys! I think I know the issue you had with the wall swim!
I'll be sure to lower the overall difficulty and emphasize the vibe for my next level. Really difficult levels aren't what make an interesting map to me, it's the puzzles, exploration and mystery of every section that sells a level.

Much thanks!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 21:40:18 »
...Really difficult levels aren't what make an interesting map to me, it's the puzzles, exploration and mystery of every section that sells a level.
The puzzles were really good. The ritual section is one of the best puzzle maps I've seen in KS. It's complex, but it's easy to notice the effect each switch has. If you like puzzles I have to point you towards Fubaka's The Column.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 02:03:15 »
I love Knytt puzzles, and I'm glad you enjoyed the Ritual! I'll have to give that map a try, I'm an avid KS fan and it sounds like a treat!

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 21:11:58 »
I'll echo what everyone else said, great level!

Spoiler: The great (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The not-so-great (click to show/hide)

All in all, an excellent level that I think has a lot of surprises and replay-ability.  :)

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 22:02:06 »
I will say on the ending, I ran out of time and feared I would not finish the level so I had to close it off suddenly, haha. Thank you for the feedback!

It's amazing to see how engaged this community still is, so many years later! It inspires me to create more!

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 00:42:50 »
Finally getting around to commenting. This level was pretty solid! As others mentioned some of the walking parts were sometimes frustrating and the ending was a bit abrupt but overall I enjoyed the level. I don't know why I haven't seen half corner jumps until now.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 16:16:31 »
Amazing level! I loved it.

For me difficulty itself was solid, but lack of save spots at some points had to be compensated with cheat-saving.
Here's a list of screens lacking a save spot at their beginning: x1014y1028, x1015y1028, x1024y1028, x1026y1028, x1030y1020, x1006y1028 (around x15), x1004y1024.
Also, auto-save shifts are a bad idea, there's no reason to use them instead of proper save spots (if it's for aesthetics, you could use custom graphics either with press-down-to-trigger shifts plus graphics or with customized save spots if KS+ allows it).
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Speaking of aesthetics+function, the mole holes are a great idea!
There's void to the left of x1008y1011 and wallswims in the attached screenshots.
Also, incorrect difficulty (2 difficulties are only for levels where you can choose between them) and more importantly incorrect topic title (lacking [KS+], which means one has to first install it in KS Ex, then find out it's for KS+, then delete it from KS Ex, then install in KS+).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 16:21:53 by GrayFace »

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 15:25:47 »
Good notes, I haven't even considered things like only 1 difficulty or adding [KS+] in my descriptions.
I should do this for all my levels.