Knytt Stories 83+

• 45 Replies

Offline blahbadeedooda

• badah bah bah baaaaah I'm not a sheep
    • View Profile
Knytt Stories 83+
« on: April 30, 2009, 04:32:46 »
For two days now, I have been working on a version of Knytt Stories for the Ti-83+ calculator.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to code in assembly, and am forced to use the built-in basic language (which means it's slow as hell).  However, I am utilizing an assembly library, so the graphics are nice.  I'll post some screenies as soon as the screencapture program starts working. I got it fixed.

Edit: It works best on a TI-83+SE/84+/84+SE.  If you have a TI-83+, you could find out how to overclock it and do that. :shifty:

Unzip the folder and send ALL the files to your calculator.  Go to the apps menu and select xLib.  press |1| and then press |3|.  run prgmKS83 to play.  when it gets to the screen where it says "GAME:", type in "EXMAPS".  I haven't made any other levels yet.  if you can figure out how to make your own, great, but if not, don't worry.  I'll post a tutorial soon.

The file will continually be updated as long as my parents grant me access to the computer, so...

Controls:
up: jump
left: run left
right: run right
down: activate shifts, saves, powerup stations, etc.

Custom tilesets are supported.  just make sure the width and height of the tile are multiples of two. a whole tile is 8 pixels by 8 pixels, so if you want smaller squares, you have to make tiles for each type.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 22:13:58 by blahbadeedooda »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
Re: Knytt Stories 83+
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:45:48 »
:O This looks fantastic.

Now if I could only find my calculator. 9_9
good bye

Offline blahbadeedooda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:47:15 »
I also have created a level editor that supports custom tilesets.  The only problem is that in order to make your own levels, you have to have some knowledge of the language.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:49:33 by blahbadeedooda »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:50:42 »
Do you also have something like a download link?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Joho The Hobo

• Joho The Ex-Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 23:33:26 »
And Knytt Stories enters the exclusive list of games that have been ported to a calculator.  XD

This looks great, especially for such a doubtlessly limiting medium. I like Juni, you've managed to super-minimalise Nifflas's already minimalistic graphic style, and it Works.

Something about this though... it just makes me laugh for some reason   X)

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:54:09 »
Unfortunately, I don't know how to code in assembly, and am forced to use the built-in basic language (which means it's slow as hell).
I believe it is possible to code for TI calculators in C, though I may be mistaken.
o__  o

Offline Joozey

• It's a clockwork universe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 13:16:44 »
Haha, nice. I never went beyond ascii characters as the graphic output. Did make RPG's, puzzlegames and Snakes out of 'em.
Gears grinding on maximum power, belts slipping to high speed.<br />In name of Her Majesty Victoria, FULL THRUST INTO ARMADA!

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 14:01:28 »
This looks veeeeeery nice. :) Wish I had a TI-whatever calculator. I'll probably download an emu once you release it.

Offline blahbadeedooda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 21:51:54 »
Unfortunately, I don't know how to code in assembly, and am forced to use the built-in basic language (which means it's slow as hell).
I believe it is possible to code for TI calculators in C, though I may be mistaken.
Not for TI 83+, I don't think.  I believe that's only for TI 89 and such.

Do you also have something like a download link?
Sorry.  I forgot to post one.  See the top post to download.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 21:53:26 by blahbadeedooda »

Offline blahbadeedooda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 22:09:22 »
And Knytt Stories enters the exclusive list of games that have been ported to a calculator.  XD

This looks great, especially for such a doubtlessly limiting medium. I like Juni, you've managed to super-minimalise Nifflas's already minimalistic graphic style, and it Works.

Something about this though... it just makes me laugh for some reason   X)
Well, thank you very much.  The graphic design was really the best I could do, and I wish I could have done more, but it's nice to know that you appreciate it. :^^:
This looks veeeeeery nice. :) Wish I had a TI-whatever calculator. I'll probably download an emu once you release it.

Even if you had an emulator, you'd need a rom from the calculator that you wanted to emulate.  I won't provide that. :/

If you can find a rom, however, use the emulator pindurTI.  It's the best one I have ever used, and it's how I got the screen shot (I have a TI-83+ and used the rom from that).

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 23:08:07 »
Sorry.  I forgot to post one.  See the top post to download.

Great! Thanks. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 23:52:40 »
Wow, it's amazing to see such a great game becoming so....portable. XD
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Bood_War

• Obediance or Oblivion. That is why we fight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 00:47:56 »
DAMN YOU!!! Now I'll have another reason not to pay attention in school,  XD This is great!
Shut UP voices or I'll stick my bubble gum to you!

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 05:43:03 »

I searched, and although I did not find an ANSI C compiler, I was able to find a Small-C compiler here :D
o__  o

Offline blahbadeedooda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 20:25:34 »

I searched, and although I did not find an ANSI C compiler, I was able to find a Small-C compiler here :D

Thanks.  Now I just need to learn the language.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 00:27:39 by blahbadeedooda »