my dsiware dr mario review on youtube

• 6 Replies

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
my dsiware dr mario review on youtube
« on: April 30, 2009, 03:32:33 »
I was bored tonight so I took out my camera, went on Youtube, created an account, and posted a video. I think I'll started doing this regularly in my free time. :)

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY0fXP_3ZT0&feature=channel_page
"I wander to many places, but I quest to few."

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreepyThumb

I leave and come back, kinda like a ghost. Hmm...

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: my dsiware dr mario review on youtube
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:58:03 »
I think you might want to work a bit on the quality of the movie. It was all very blurred which makes it very hard to see. You probably are using your webcam right? Try using a video camera/photo camera which has a higher quality by default.

Also the commentary and playing at the same time, seems to make you confused in what to do/say. Perhaps you can first record you play, and then record you talking about it, like DeceasedCrab does it for his Lets Play video's.

That way, you can ensure that the video is good (no sudden things like you setting the difficulty wrong, although I laughted at that point) before you add commentary.

Also, it might help if you know what you're going to say before you make a recording.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:20:34 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:55:34 »
The concept behind the video is fine, but the execution is lacking. It isn't so much a review as a minimally-edited video of some gameplay and showing some of the game's miscellaneous features. This'd be fine for a Let's Play, but not so much for a review. (The interest in a Let's Play is the spontaneous interaction between the LPer and the game. In a review, spontaneous unscripted material will only leave the viewer uninterested and confused. If you're going to do a serious review, you need at least a minimal script.) The jittering and low picture quality (the text in the game is barely readable) make it really frustrating to watch. (Unfortunately, if you're recording from a handheld game system, some jitter is probably unavoidable.) (Or like you could use ROMs and an emulator and a screen recording program, but legality could be a problem here.)

I don't mean to sound excessively negative, but there's lots of room for improvement here, both technically and structurally.

Perhaps you can first record you play, and then record you talking about it, like DeceasedCrap does it for his Lets Play video's.

Actually I think he records the commentary at the same time as he's playing- you can even hear keypresses sometimes.

Also, funniest typo I've seen in a while.
good bye

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 14:29:36 »
 :oops: Yeah, about that selecting the difficulty wrong, maybe I should have made these Let's Plays, I'll take that record the video and then record voice into account the next time I make a video. Thanks for the advice goog and LP. :)
"I wander to many places, but I quest to few."

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreepyThumb

I leave and come back, kinda like a ghost. Hmm...

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 23:10:08 »
Perhaps you can first record you play, and then record you talking about it, like DeceasedCrab does it for his Lets Play video's.

Actually I think he records the commentary at the same time as he's playing- you can even hear keypresses sometimes.

Also, funniest typo I've seen in a while.
You might be wanting to read what I wrote again. I was suggesting to change the approach because I noticed that he was doing both at the same time.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:20:15 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 09:19:15 »
Oops  :oops: I ofcource ment Deceased Crab.

I believe he explained once that he first plays through, and on his best recording, he adds commentary. But I can be wrong ofcource.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 17:58:26 »
He might do that on his newer videos, but I'm quite sure on his first ones he recorded while actually playing the game.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.