[Small][Misc][Easy/Normal][KS+] Two short levels

• 19 Replies

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
[Small][Misc][Easy/Normal][KS+] Two short levels
« on: February 14, 2021, 17:39:03 »
So these are two little levels I made some time ago to try some features in KS+, like foreground tiles. I went a bit overboard with it, especially with the Fishy one which is probably too fluffy and kitschy. There is no real plot, just some scenery and collecting of keys, but Red plants are not purely enviromental.

Anyway, I hope at least someone likes them.

Fishy

Where the red plants grow

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
Re: [Small][Misc][Easy/Normal][KS+] Two short levels
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 19:53:26 »
I rather enjoyed both levels. They are each charming, unique, and never wear out their welcome.

Fishy was the more beautiful of the two; the tileset was striking and engaging and visceral, it flowed very well with the undersea motif and default COs.

I personally preferred Where the red plants grow because I enjoyed the unassuming challenges and the short search-and-find.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Thanks for the levels, and I hope you continue to produce excellent content!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 19:36:24 »
Thanks, I'm glad you liked them.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 19:52:35 »
Fishy is nice. The graphics are so different from how KS levels tend to look, it's refreshing. The unusual design made it a little tricky to navigate. I don't think I'd want to play a large challenge level like this, but it works just fine for a small exploration level.

Where the Red Plants Grow is pretty. I found the vertical shaft on the right side a little frustrating. That's partly my fault. I didn't realize the kill zones were larger than the spikes. I must be rusty. It's always nice to see some of the lesser used default tilesets put to good use.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 22:57:54 »
Thanks. I got stuck there too while replaying before uploading. Maybe I should've put the kill block into wall and not on the spikes. They're really smaller.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 23:54:42 by Polana »

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 22:19:10 »
Comfy levels, a bit of precision required for plants grow but it went fine after a bit.

Nice to see older creators trying new stuff :)

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 04:56:26 »
Wow I just replayed Many Islands a couple months ago and thought how nice another Polana level might be. And here are 2! :D

Great little levels. I got softlocked in Fishy but due to the nature of the level it wasn't a hugely frustrating thing.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 23:08:52 »
Thanks guys!

I myself see fishy more like an excercise in building from unusual tileset than regular level.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 00:00:43 »
Nice levels. I preferred Fishy, because it's more beautiful.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 12:26:35 »
The level Fishy is very unique one, totally different from other KS levels. And one of the few ones that actually take place underwater. At start I was a bit confused distincting foreground from background tiles, but it was fine playthrough afterward. The other one I have not played yet, I will give a separate review later.

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 00:17:37 »
Really liked both of these. I had the same problem that Ego did with Plants but other than that, it was a nice small level. I feel the tileset could use some tweaking imo, but that's a minor nitpick. I'd love to see this level expanded, possibly. Fishy was also good. My only major complaint about it is that there's no music or ambience, but other than that it was also a nice, small level. Good stuff all around!

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 20:16:58 »
Where the red plants grow is a easy short level. It does have decent visuals, I liked how the red plants and creatures make contrast to the gloomy grey land. Overall, I like the your level design having perfectly balanced color palettes.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 01:08:15 »
@GrayFace: Beautiful tileset, yes, but hard to build from. But people liking it made it worthy.

@ SC: "Official" reason for having no ambiance or music in Fishy is that Juni is underwater and thus can't really hear anything. Real reason, of course, is that I was too lazy to look for some free underwater ambiance like singing whales or something.
Yeah, that shaft is much harder than the rest of level and should have longer segments without spikes.
I am actually thinking about some larger level with this tileset (or some variation of it).

@ Comhon: There were originally some enemies in Fishy, but I decided to get rid of them just for this reason and make it purely enviromental, so confusing visuals won't be such problem. Colour palette in Red plants is more of a Nifflas' merit than mine, I merely used his tileset.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2023, 22:55:32 »
I *love* Fishy! (I haven't played the other one yet.) Don't call it kitschy, it's not. Just pretty, in - yes - a pleasant and "accessible" way, but that doesn't make it kitschy. I just replayed it, not for the first time, and I'm sure not for the last time. I really enjoy the atmosphere and visuals. It uses two tilesets I love and combines them brilliantly, in a way that makes it feel like they were always intended to be used together. It also presents a nice variety of sub-environments.

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2023, 02:37:30 »
I agree that Fishy is great. Superb use of Stone Tiers tilesets
Rome wasn't built in a day.