[Small][Misc][Easy/Normal][KS+] Two short levels

• 19 Replies

Offline fabiche

• I love 2D games :-D
    • View Profile
Re: [Small][Misc][Easy/Normal][KS+] Two short levels
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2023, 16:24:10 »
Very nice level and not kitshy at all ;-) Knytt stories needs more underwater levels

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2023, 12:18:32 »
Ok! So, I've now played both, and I enjoy Where the Red Plants Grow a lot, too! I've always liked that tileset - it may not offer much variety of *types* of plants, but I always enjoy it when a tileset has a great variety of *one* type of plant, too. After all, it's not unusual to find places in nature that are dominated by one type of plant; yet no two plants are ever totally alike. And aesthetically, it's much easier to make something visually interesting when you have more than one configuration of an element available. But I digress into praising the tileset instead of the level...

So, I think the tileset was used very well here, both the choice of making the ground/walls consist of lots of separate blocks and the placement of plants, and I especially appreciated the underwater plants. (HOW??? The water object seems to be the default one, so it shouldn't be transparent..?! What am I missing?)

I also really like the use of the Nurykabe bridges tileset, which offers so many interesting possibilities.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2023, 20:54:20 »
So, I think the tileset was used very well here, both the choice of making the ground/walls consist of lots of separate blocks and the placement of plants, and I especially appreciated the underwater plants. (HOW??? The water object seems to be the default one, so it shouldn't be transparent..?! What am I missing?)

It's because of the overlay function in KS+, I put the plants on layer 2 and water on layer 4, enable overlay and voila - plants underwater. I use this function quite liberally in my upcoming KS+ level and emulate it in my also upcoming KSEx level because water without underwater stuff now looks so boring to me. Be careful though because it makes objects on layer 7 literally untouchable.

Also I'm really glad you like both of these two levels.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2023, 21:01:37 »

It's because of the overlay function in KS+, I put the plants on layer 2 and water on layer 4, enable overlay and voila - plants underwater. I use this function quite liberally in my upcoming KS+ level

Seems like that is one KS+ function I urgently need to learn about...

and emulate it in my also upcoming KSEx

K...Sex? o.O

(I'm sorry, that was the part of my brain that is eternally 13 years old. But also, I really don't know what that means. Anyway, probably more of a convo for the Discord. :D)

level because water without underwater stuff now looks so boring to me. Be careful though because it makes objects on layer 7 literally untouchable.

Also I'm really glad you like both of these two levels.

It's great to come back to so much great stuff!

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2023, 21:21:39 »

K...Sex? o.O

(I'm sorry, that was the part of my brain that is eternally 13 years old. But also, I really don't know what that means. Anyway, probably more of a convo for the Discord. :D)

Sorry, it's the other KS mod by GrayFace.