Graphic mods?

• 12 Replies
Graphic mods?
« on: February 02, 2021, 16:50:20 »

Hello, there is a way for have some graphic filters like anti aliasing, or better graphics that look less pixellated in full screen? thanks for help

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Graphic mods?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 21:09:12 »
There's no easy way for this to happen. KS was made in MMF2 and I think you need the developer edition to use shaders. MMF2 is now defunct as the developers have moved on to a new product, and the last time I looked their support forum was unusable. Your best bet would be the various projects out there to rebuild the KS engine on other platforms. There's one on the Godot engine that looks promising.

In my KS mod, KS+, you can use the standard KS fullscreen mode, or you can zoom for exact pixel scaling. It makes the pixels sharper. I know that's the opposite of what your asking for, but I personally have never found any method for "enhancing" pixel-art graphics to be better than basic scaling.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 21:15:13 »
There is not. However, some of the levels might have some special effects, to make them looking more visually appealing. Anyway, I never had a problem Knytt Stories looking pixelated. Moreover, it is intended, most of the levels are pixelart based. For example the Knytt Stories Plus mod does support integer scaling (2x) to actually prevent the game looking blurry on fullscreen...

EDIT: Like egomassive said, this way the game is much better than any aliasing. Additionally, there is also a separate utility "Scaler" for the original Knytt Stories and other MMF games and that does the same thing.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 21:18:35 by Comhon »

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 22:34:41 »
There is not. However, some of the levels might have some special effects, to make them looking more visually appealing. Anyway, I never had a problem Knytt Stories looking pixelated. Moreover, it is intended, most of the levels are pixelart based. For example the Knytt Stories Plus mod does support integer scaling (2x) to actually prevent the game looking blurry on fullscreen...

EDIT: Like egomassive said, this way the game is much better than any aliasing. Additionally, there is also a separate utility "Scaler" for the original Knytt Stories and other MMF games and that does the same thing.
how use the scaling 2x?
another good idea was to use reshade and set some filters.. but seem not possible :(

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 03:29:10 »
To use 2x scaling get Knytt Stories Plus at  egomassive.com/ks

Choose "zoom" from the menu.

If your monitor is over 1800 pixels wide, you can zoom in again.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 11:42:15 »
To use 2x scaling get Knytt Stories Plus at  egomassive.com/ks

Choose "zoom" from the menu.

If your monitor is over 1800 pixels wide, you can zoom in again.
already tried.. but the result is pixellated

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 02:17:19 »
already tried.. but the result is pixellated
If you mean by "pixelated" that it's not anti-aliasing/blurring, that's by design. It's simply zooming in, it's not actually changing the graphics. Think of it as just leaning forward. The graphics don't change but for Knytt Stories I think it makes a huge difference to zoom because each screen becomes so much more readable which in many cases improves the graphics tremendously from a relative perspective. Like looking at a piece of art from across the room as opposed to being able to examine it from steps away.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 02:19:29 by plural »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 19:23:55 »
I think this is what they're asking for. (see attachment) It's an emulator with various "filters" applied. Some things look higher resolution but you get weird artifacts especially when things are in motion. Disclaimer! I own physical copies of the system and the game displayed here.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 20:59:00 »
Oh man, Metroid Zero Mission was one of my all-time favourite childhood games. Legendary.
(Totally got the hardest ending, too - about ten years after first playing the game)

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 22:56:03 »
I think this is what they're asking for. (see attachment) It's an emulator with various "filters" applied. Some things look higher resolution but you get weird artifacts especially when things are in motion. Disclaimer! I own physical copies of the system and the game displayed here.
exactly right! is possible?

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 15:03:40 »
I think this calls for another Next Gen Knytt DLC pack.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 08:53:58 »
I should add such filters to my Scaler and KS Ex one day.

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 19:38:02 »
after years no one ever added these filters