Island of Mimir [small, challenge, very-hard]

• 15 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Island of Mimir [small, challenge, very-hard]
« on: January 30, 2021, 17:14:58 »
This level was originally a demo by Sinix released back in 2009. I was looking through my library for a new level idea when I was inspired to finish this old beauty instead. I've done my best to make it look and play as if the original author had built it all himself. I'm happy to report, Sinix has not only given me permission to release this level, but he really liked it too.

download Island of Mimir by Sinix & egomassive 15MB

Spoiler: Features: (click to show/hide)

I want to thank Sinix, Harumbai, Fubaka, and my beta testers for your time and contributions.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 17:24:13 by egomassive »

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
Re: Island of Mimir [small, challenge, very-hard]
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 18:29:04 »
I absolutely love this small level. From the screenshot I instantly got an idea I know it from somewhere. I've seen the tileset somewhere and could not just find out, how to make it work. You have done a great job with it.
While playing, I was wondering where would be the nighttime. And when it came along, I was absolutely amazed, what the result was. Even I got stuck for a while at a one specific place, the atmosphere of the level worked for me and helped me to make the jump I thought to be impossible.
So far, I am 1 of the available secrets, so I need an another run to find them all.

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 19:51:04 »
Really, really, really, good level. The very definition of 'short, but sweet'. I looove how this level looks and feels. Maybe Ego should finish unfinished levels more often... X)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 20:39:34 »
From the screenshot I instantly got an idea I know it from somewhere.
The original version of this level is probably still out there somewhere. And, I know Hmpf had gotten permission to use the tilesets in her unfinished level, Falling Water. I don't know if it was included in her last alpha release or not.

Maybe Ego should finish unfinished levels more often... X)
I agree, especially my own unfinished projects. For now, I'm back on The Machine remake.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 20:45:24 by egomassive »

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 21:28:29 »
Excellent little level! There's a lot to enjoy here.

Spoiler: The Good (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Bad (click to show/hide)

Egomassive levels are always an instant classic.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 06:12:17 »
This level was beautiful. Really unique experience. I didn't find all the signs on my playthrough but I'll give it another go soon. :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 21:58:03 »
Important announcement! Sinix finished his picture for the middle cutscene. I was waiting for this before I gave the level more of a story. You can get the new version with the same link.

Sinix plans to show the level on his Youtube. So, keep an eye out for that too.

Offline SilasMann

• A Real Horse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 10:31:30 »
I feel like this is the culmination of years of secret KS history. Level is a perfect length to be substantial, difficulty is hard but rewarding, really nailed it there for my tastes. Though, I did die an embarrassingly large amount of times at x995y1000 jumping on to the waterfall blocks, by reflex... over and over... The tile usage and edits are indistinguishable in quality from the original level, and the custom music tracks are great additions. Clearly you did the original level justice!

AND... x996y1002, you LOVE to see it.  <3 <3 <3

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 04:54:04 »
As a complete surprise to me, Sinix decided to update the original info image with a version that matches the new cutscene image. We also tweaked the story. I caught a small level design mistake too. Use the same link in the opening post as before.

Glad you enjoyed it SilasMann. I'm suspicious that you and xZilas are the same person.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:56:38 by egomassive »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 06:28:12 »
Glad you enjoyed it SilasMann. I'm suspicious that you and xZilas are the same person.

What are you talking about, SilasMann is clearly a horse.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 17:32:54 »
It's funny how the mind works. Yesterday as I was falling asleep, I realized I used "phased" instead of "fazed" in the level. It just popped into my consciousness out of nowhere. So, I corrected that and then fell asleep. If you managed to get your hands on a copy that says "phased" where it should say "fazed" consider it a rare misprinted item that has more value to collectors than the rest.

@Sergio: I saw that discrepancy, but I ignored it. Maybe they're a horse that likes lizards, or a lizard that rides horses.

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 20:26:16 »
Good level, but it's not very hard.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 20:35:19 »
Good level, but it's not very hard.
When you know how to beat it, it doesn't feel very-hard. Between many players needing to learn a new move to escape the spikers, and lots of spitters making the difficulty variable, I thought very-hard was a better indicator of the difficulty this level would give most players. I nerfed it a lot during testing though, so it might only be hard now.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 19:42:27 »
Great level and the night part with spikers is definitely very hard.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 20:50:00 »
Amazing level! But why is its difficulty Very Hard? I thought it's classic Normal. But indeed it's above the threshold set by A Strange Dream, so Hard should be the best fitting category.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 20:57:13 by GrayFace »