[Challenge/Puzzle] [Very Hard] [Tiny] One Epic Screen

• 6 Replies

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
[Challenge/Puzzle] [Very Hard] [Tiny] One Epic Screen
« on: January 29, 2021, 16:48:18 »
In honor of Purple Ink's Un-epic Level Contest, I have created One Epic Screen. This level was inspired by Purple Pineapple's One Screen Puzzle 4. I hope this experience will be a little more relaxing than its inspiration, gently guiding players to push KS mechanics in order to progress.

Level can be found here! Enjoy and thank you for playing!

Per the contest requirements, this level does NOT require any mods to play and works just fine with the original KS.

Spoiler: Hints (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 15:33:16 by pfrangip »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: [Challenge/Puzzle] [Very Hard] [Tiny] One Epic Screen
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 12:32:11 »
An extremely cool level that served as a great introduction to lots of engine quirks I wasn't familiar with. One thing I was never able to legitimately figure out was the code combination... maybe I should have kept at it longer.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 14:51:57 »
This is a collection of some of the most bizarre techniques in KS. If I wasn't so deeply familiar with KS I'm not sure if I could have figured them out. The code section was certainly new to me though. Decoding the symbols wasn't hard, but then I didn't know how to apply that knowledge to the lock. After several minutes I finally entered the only thing I could think of. To my great relief it worked.

Anyway, I liked it. It's definitely a standout one-screen-puzzle level. I liked that I could figure it out one piece at a time, and save between each accomplishment.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 15:26:09 »
@Sergio

Thanks for the kind words! I've added some hints to my OP to figure out the code. I realize it's a concept some people are very familiar with, and others simply have no experience with. 

@Egomassive

Thanks for the praise! Glad you were able to figure it all out!

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 06:12:51 »
This was hard!

Offline SilasMann

• A Real Horse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 20:53:53 »
That was great! I don't consider myself a Knytt Stories expert by any means, so I was pleasantly surprised I successfully made it to the end. Some puzzles I would think it over for a minute, go "no way this is the answer.", and then it worked!
To me, it was clear the code section was a math puzzle, but it wasn't immediately obvious what I was solving for (there were 4 symbols, for 3 buttons, not sure which symbol goes in what order?), so I might have gotten a hint... but I did end up solving it, and given more time, probably could have done it without a hint.
Good level!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 19:31:13 »
Loved it!