[KS+] Tree of Life

• 15 Replies

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
[KS+] Tree of Life
« on: January 03, 2021, 04:56:41 »

I've teased this level some with pics of tileset testing and such. I'm finally at the point I wanted to reach before announcing it. :)

This is not a remake of my first level. The same basic premise is the same, however. The Tree of Life gives life and energy to the whole planet but it's in danger. That's where the similarities end.

Join Juni on a new adventure as she must leave her village and travel the world to collect hidden treasures, ancient artefacts, and more, before ultimately saving the Tree. Her journey will take her to ancient temples around the world where she must overcome trials to retrieve sacred items needed for her quest. I've been working on this for quite some time but it's nowhere near complete. I estimate another two years at least before it's finished, provided I can work on it with fervour.

Travel the world to collect lost leaves. This is a collectible that won't unlock anything but is hopefully enough to give those completionists a good time. :)

Scattered throughout the world is lost scrolls. They will give information about the locations Juni visits and provide some history and lore for the world. I hope to have many of these to build a rich experience.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [KS+] Tree of Life
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 06:24:21 »
Sounds good. Two years will give me enough time to find everything hidden in Reditus.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 20:00:06 »
Good luck with this one! Looking forward to playing it someday :^^:

I really like the idea of the "lost scroll" collectible. I considered doing something similar in Forgotten Realms, but in the end I went with a different approach since I wanted that particular level to remain backwards compatible with vanilla KS.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 13:35:06 »
Lost scrolls aren't collectibles as such. They are static objects you can interact with to read. I plan on having some be easy to find and others hidden somewhat. C)

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 19:09:32 »
Ooh, the scroll thing sounds really fun. It's great that you're putting so much story and personality into each area.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 05:43:38 »
Update time! :D

I've actually gotten a lot of work done recently. Been way more interested in working on this than I thought I'd be. I've work on improving things, creating screens, and done TONS of work on tilesets. I'd say I've put in like 20+ hours of tileset work in the last week (sound like a lot but I'm slow). Some of that was obsessing over one tileset and completely redoing it several times. Also, taking time to fine-tune other tilesets. I showed it off other places but I made a completely new tileset for an area I already finished. So I had to redo that entire area with the new tileset. I remapped some of those screens, changing the layout and moving some secrets around. All of this to say what I started with: I've been getting a lot of work done on this.

Giving a two year estimate was a mistake, in retrospect. Giving myself a timeline like that made me feel pressured to have to have the level ready in two years. So I'm redacting that estimate. The level will be ready when it's ready.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 21:10:38 »
Bit of an update.

Hasn't been a lot of work on this the last few months. Been largely uninterested in KS things. I've gotten hung up on a particular area that I am considering redesigning. This would eliminate hundreds of screens and about 1000 lines of world.ini text. So I'm not convinced I want to do it yet but I'm unhappy with how things are currently. Otherwise the level is almost fully planned out in terms of secrets and specifics of areas and how they connect. So I guess there has been some progress. :)

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 23:49:40 »
I have some exciting (for me) news! I finally finished that area I was talking about in my last post. I deleted those screens and lines of code and completely re-did it. It was annoying because there are a lot of duplicate screens/code but it's finally done. Some other things accomplished since the last post: work on COs, improvements to tilesets, bug fixes (SGEs, misplaced warps/flags, etc), progress on the level as a whole (new areas and story-line things complete). Recently I've had renewed vigour to work on this so I'm hoping to get a lot done whilst I have motivation.

Offline Lit Knob

• Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 01:33:49 »
Yes! I've been waiting patiently for this. I'm glad it's going well.
I hope my templates will motivate you even further. :)
"The flaw expert" -egomassive

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 20:58:29 »
Happy birthday, Knytt Stories! I've decided to show a new screenshot for the occasion. Nothing too special about this screen; it's just the newest one I've made.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 20:59:34 »
Nice mushrooms!

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 04:08:32 »
Well it's been 2 years and it's not finished yet. :oops:

Recently completely remade this tileset (not finished yet) so I'm currently working on redoing the area for the tileset as well.

Other than that I'd say things are progress nicely, albeit slowly. :)

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2023, 04:05:56 »
I said this in the Niffcord but I'll say it here too. Completed a full start-to-credits playthrough of this. There's still a lot to do but I'm confidenttm in saying it will likely be out by the end of the year. :)

Offline Lucinda

• Projectors for eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 09:36:48 »
As I said in the Niffcord, I can't wait
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 19:36:50 »
I've been having a lot of fun with Reditus, so I'm looking forward to this!