• 10 Replies

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
[Hard/Challenge/Small] Tomatoes! Gaiden
« on: December 06, 2020, 21:48:21 »
IN THE YEAR 202X ...
WAR WAS BEGINNING.

DR MARINARA HAS CREATED A TOMATO BOMB WHICH WILL TURN EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD INTO AN ORGANIC FRUIT VEGETABLE FREGETBLE ,
AND FOREVER PUT AN END TO THE CATSUP VS KETCHUP DISPUTE.

THE WORLD LIVES IN TERROR. THE CLEVER AND ASTUTE AMONG THE POPULATION HAD ALREADY ANTICIPATED THE CURRENT LUNACY AND HAD
ALREADY TAKEN APPROPRIATE MEASURES , BUT THE LIKES OF A HERO ARE STILL IN NEED. A HERO SUCH AS ...

THE JUNI.

Meanwhile, Juni is busy helping Tomatonia punish someone who ordered a glass of tap water and didn't drink it.

Tomatoes! Gaiden is a vanilla KS level by me, Vegetal Gibber, and Sergio Cornaga, brought to you after two-and-a-half years in the making. (As in: it was started as an entry for Knytt Swapsies II, then no-one felt like working on it and it was canned for two-and-a-half-years, then we finished up the rest in two months.) Much like the original Tomatoes!, it's as much about the scenery and challenges as it is about the dumb dialogue. It includes:
  • Vegetal Gibber's signature design
  • Scrapped KS music by Nurykabe
  • 64 screens, excluding duplicates
  • 5 increasingly obscure and nonsensical endings
  • Tilesets by Vegetal Gibber and ncrecc (really!)
  • More fluffs
  • No voidscreens
  • Really, try finding a voidscreen

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

This post doesn't aesthetically feel complete without some additional words under that list. Here are some words. These are nice words, I'm glad I wrote them. Oh, right; enjoy the level, and feel free to leave feedback/bug reports!

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: [Hard/Challenge/Small] Tomatoes! Gaiden
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 11:27:40 »
Hope you guys enjoy this one as much as we enjoyed making stuff up as we went designing it! Oh and, if you haven't played the original Tomatoes yet, it's highly recommended that you do so before playing this one since this is a sequel/spinoff-thingy. Otherwise you'll be missing out on all that rich backstory and lore :P2
Some KS levels by me:

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 16:22:01 »
Is this the greatest level ever made?
Are the challenges better than Ultigonio's Deep Freeze?
Is the story deeper and more meaningful than both Talps' Dragon Myth -AND- the original Tomatoes?
IS THE SECRET POTATO CHIP ENDING AN HONORABLE SUCCESSOR TO THE FIRST??
DOES THIS LEVEL EXPLAIN THE DEEPEST MYSTERIES OF NIFFLAS' KNYTTVERSE AND OUR OWN EXISTENCE??

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 00:31:20 »
Is this the greatest level ever made?
Are the challenges better than Ultigonio's Deep Freeze?
Is the story deeper and more meaningful than both Talps' Dragon Myth -AND- the original Tomatoes?
IS THE SECRET POTATO CHIP ENDING AN HONORABLE SUCCESSOR TO THE FIRST??
DOES THIS LEVEL EXPLAIN THE DEEPEST MYSTERIES OF NIFFLAS' KNYTTVERSE AND OUR OWN EXISTENCE??

One of the above might actually be true! I'm not telling which one though :shifty:

Thanks for playing, glad you enjoyed the level :D
Some KS levels by me:

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 17:15:41 »
I completed the level, and it was fun. Thanks to developers. I'm going to eat some tomatoes.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 18:40:52 »
I completed the level, and it was fun. Thanks to developers. I'm going to eat some tomatoes.

Hooray!

Glad you had fun, thanks for playing :)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 22:12:11 »
I'm looking forward to play this, however it might take some time, since I have to play the original first. :)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 00:03:59 »
I really enjoyed it. I thought it would be a simple level like the original. I was pleasantly surprised by by how much game there was here. So many memorable moments and good humor. This level gets five tomatoes on a five star scale from me.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 13:14:05 »
@Comhon: The "prequel" is a very short playground level you can fully explore in about 15 minutes. However, playing it is not strictly required, so if you don't mind a few references becoming even more nonsensical than they already are, feel free to jump right in into this one! 

@ego: Thanks for playing and for the glowing tomato-y review! The first Tomatoes was something I cooked up for a GT KS event in just a few hours (and the first hour was spent entirely into hastily making a tileset :P2). For this one, we had a lot more time to develop it into a more complete KS level... and by that I mean cramming as much stuff as possible during the last 2 months, as ncrecc already explained, so perhaps the spirit of the original is not completely lost here X)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 20:02:55 »
This was something! I did played the first level before, it was fun and easy. In contrast, this was really a challenge for me, but also much more fun. I liked how the music was really synced with my failing attempts to progress. And I now hate that ant. I really don't know I managed to jump over it. And THAT button! For some time I felt I am missing checkpoints, but later realized everything is placed in order to make me think about each challenge how to overcome it most effectively. Moreover, in this level there is no place for lucky jumping over obstacles not colliding with them. In the last screens I almost lost hope I can make it, but I did! The usage of mostly 'hologram based' enemies is something I have never seen anywhere. And the graphics and music helped me a lot to keep playing and not saving the level 'for another time'. And the ending is indeed satisfying. :nuts:

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 04:19:37 »
And the ending is indeed satisfying. :nuts:

Since there are five (increasingly obscure and nonsensical) endings, I can only assume you're referring to the only canon one.