Knytt Stories Level: The Alternate Reality Machine (working-title)

• 90 Replies
Re: Knytt Stories Level: The Alternate Reality Machine (working-title)
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2021, 07:33:51 »
I was actually thinking about doing that area, since i don't think i ever made any umbrella-related challenges before.

So i guess we're even now?

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2021, 21:36:10 »
So, Egomassive asked me via PM if I would be interested in joining you all in making this level and taking the Green land part. Since no. 19 was always one of my favourite tilesets, I'd love to do it. I'm officially claiming that section and I'd like to remix tileset 19 a bit (but keeping it green).

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2021, 22:32:41 »
So, Egomassive asked me via PM if I would be interested in joining you all in making this level and taking the Green land part. Since no. 19 was always one of my favourite tilesets, I'd love to do it. I'm officially claiming that section and I'd like to remix tileset 19 a bit (but keeping it green).

Great! :)

Feel free to also edit the first post (the edit button is just above the credits section) and put yourself on the list. That way you can also keep track of your progress and all of us can see it directly. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2021, 20:10:17 »
This is an update on some of the things happening on Discord. The attached images are work-in-progress screens from ncrecc and I. Most of the discussion about this project (and everything else) takes place on the Discord.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2021, 01:32:35 »
There are some test screens for remixed tileset 19. I am not sure whether I should use those brown background blocks at the left side of screenshot or only the green ones at the right side.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2021, 01:34:09 »
I think both colours work! They give it depth.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2021, 02:32:02 »
Thanks.

I don't like how the brown blocks look together with those mid-ground trees, but on the other hand, I also don't like how that green background hills look when used for higher platforms and caves. Guess the tileset still needs some work.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2021, 21:21:46 »
@Polana: To my eye the brown blocks are closer than the trees, so they shouldn't be layered behind the trees. Otherwise make them cooler in color than the foreground. Warmer colors are perceived as closer.

PS: It's beautiful. Looking forward to playing it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 21:24:06 by egomassive »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2021, 01:12:36 »
Yeah, you're right. I wanted to see how that trees would look in front of brown blocks, but now I think I'll have green hills and trees for more distant background and keep brown blocks for inside of caves etc. only. I never really thought about the colour and distance thing, but it makes sense.

Also, I really like your take on The most overused tileset in historyTM and can't wait to play that part of level.

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2021, 19:13:07 »
Talps has recently unclaimed the Spike Caves, so that and the Wrong Machine Cave (the leadup to the secret ending beneath the Spike Caves) are the last unclaimed areas. I'll claim them iff no-one else does over the next 30 days.

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2021, 06:03:34 »
I'm claiming "North & South", by the way.
This would be song number 10 on the list.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2021, 07:17:30 »
I put you in as Vreschen. Let us know if you prefer to be credited as Nagamiya, Erakion, or something else. I also added all the tileset credits I know of.

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2021, 22:41:05 »
There's one problem that makes "North & South" unnecessarily complicated, and that's the lack of a coherent BPM. Either D Fast programmed the song in uncommon time, or the samples are layered such that you can't conventionally measure out how fast the song is going. Either way, it's frustrating.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2021, 08:34:11 »
There's one problem that makes "North & South" unnecessarily complicated, and that's the lack of a coherent BPM. Either D Fast programmed the song in uncommon time, or the samples are layered such that you can't conventionally measure out how fast the song is going. Either way, it's frustrating.
Yes, that was one of the issues I had with it too. Note that you don't actually have to keep up with the exact songlength and BPM. You can just eyeball it if you wish. Its supposed to be a remix, not a remake. If I were not this uncomfortable with the genre that fits the song best, I would've made the song already.

So the best approach here is to put the original in a track at low volume and play along with that, section by section until you have enough that you can remove the original. But even then, its still hard, agreed. No quantization etc...
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex