Knytt Stories Level: The Alternate Reality Machine (working-title)

• 90 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Knytt Stories Level: The Alternate Reality Machine (working-title)
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2020, 09:33:29 »
I like that VG. It's beautiful but retains the Nifflas' KS feel.

Edit: I've tinkered with the start/end area tilesets, and I like how it's going so far. I've decided to claim them. (Just the tilesets not the design.)
Edit Again: On second thought, I'll do the start/end area section.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 16:14:09 by egomassive »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2020, 21:48:02 »
That's exactly what I'm going for with these remixes, so it's great to hear I succeeded. Glad you liked it.

I think I'll take a stab at remaking the Inaccurate Asia mini-area, so I went ahead and claimed that one for the time being.

Also, I made a remixed version of tileset #10 just for the heck of it and then noticed the slot was already claimed. Because you see, I don't like to go to bed every night before making some very poor decisions :crazy:
Some KS levels by me:

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2020, 08:06:37 »
Also, I made a remixed version of tileset #10 just for the heck of it and then noticed the slot was already claimed. Because you see, I don't like to go to bed every night before making some very poor decisions :crazy:

I'd still love to see it! I've attached the other version, which was posted in the Discord server.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2020, 14:31:56 »
I only contributed the trees there. I tried to do them in the way you had been doing trees. I'd love to see how your genuine VG makeover compares to my imitation VG makeover.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 15:54:22 by egomassive »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2020, 17:01:42 »
It's just a quick remaster-thingy with no new tiles added, but since you guys insist, here it is. The only tiles I made a bit more distinct are the clouds and the grass (the latter being a modified version of the curly grass I drew in my version of tileset #21). Feel free to re-use those or combine both sets in any other way you want.

Edit: Screenshot added just so the clouds can be seen without having to download/try out the tileset (since I just noticed they are not visible at all if you're using the white background theme):

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 00:43:22 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2020, 19:22:13 »
Here's a first draft of my alternate rendition of the Inaccurate Asia mini-area. I took the liberty to expand it a bit (hopefully not too much) since the original was so tiny.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 00:44:42 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2020, 14:21:35 »
Oh no! I switched those little trees in my edit of orange grass. Hopefully I didn't mess Comhon up too much with his level designing.

@VG: Going bolder with the roots is a daring move I didn't expect, but I guess you had to do something with them in order to keep the same layout. I like the curly grass, though I'm a little worried that too much fluffy grass will outshine the fuzziness of the turquoise caves. I have an idea of how I would edit those tiles, but I know Sergio can do it himself. His Vestiges tileset is one of the most popular custom tilesets out there.

Asia needed to be larger. I think most players will get there with the high-jump and they may have the umbrella and hologram powers, so make sure it plays as intended. That gray bouncer jumps higher when you have high-jump.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2020, 09:41:25 »
Oh no! I switched those little trees in my edit of orange grass. Hopefully I didn't mess Comhon up too much with his level designing.
Hmm, I did not notice that. However there was something I noticed, a strange blocky things appearing at the base of the big trees. But that is fine, it was a quick fix and additionally thanks to egomassive we have a better "flow" in this area :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 07:30:38 by Comhon »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2020, 02:33:53 »
Here is the start area mended with the other completed/prototype sections. Feedback is welcome.
Link Removed: See below for newer version
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 17:36:06 by egomassive »

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2020, 11:29:41 »
VG and i had a bit of a conversation. I don't remember exactly what i said, but basically, i mentioned somewhere that while i do like the tileset VG made for the Black and Dusty area, i would've preferred to use the vanilla tileset (mainly because of nostalgia). VG noticed, and offered to make an edit of his tileset where the background tiles look more like the ones from the vanilla tileset.

So now we have this. A slightly more nostalgia-compliant version of my area.

I also took this opportunity to fix an SGE Sergio pointed out to me last month.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2020, 15:13:23 »
I don't have much to contribute at this time except for a tiny update to the Inaccurate Asia mini-area. I just made a few minor changes (such as replacing one of the bouncers with the gray one, as ego suggested) and also added an easter egg thingy at the very left of the area.

[ ARM - 22 Dec 2020 Build ]

If anyone'd like me to take a crack at remixing any specific tileset, let me know.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2021, 11:50:32 »
How are people with area's they are working on? Also, at this point, I am very much in favor for people who already finished one area, to claim another one. The project is up and running long enough to consider that no new people will join in.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2021, 19:51:03 »
I don't think I'll be doing any more level design besides the small bit I did, at least for now. However, if anyone claims one of the remaining areas and would like to request a remixed tileset for it, feel free to ping me (via post or PM). The offer extends to anyone who is already working on an area but would rather focus on level design without doing graphics work.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2021, 19:56:45 »
I'll claim another area when I finish my entry for the un-epic level competition. I still have cutscene work to do here, but it's mostly inserting screen shots of places that don't exist yet (and making Juni's arms black.)

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2021, 20:31:44 »
I guess I'll go ahead and claim the blue area under the misty woods.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 21:32:23 by Talps »