Knytt Stories Level: The Alternate Reality Machine (working-title)

• 90 Replies

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: Knytt Stories Level: The Alternate Reality Machine (working-title)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 14:50:54 »
I still plan to contribute, yes.

Here is the map the area names are from:

Christmas Land is named as such because it's red and green. I think we should just keep using these names, though they need not strictly dictate how areas be divided.

I would prefer this to be a vanilla rather than KS+ level.

Also, I posted this on Discord already, but I suggest the title "Another Machine".

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 15:28:20 »
- Is there a reason to go for KS+? As in, are we going to specifically use features KS+ offers?

Overlays, attachments, overridden objects... I'm just chewing on ideas at the moment, but there are some KS+ additions I wouldn't leave home without these days.

However, if the overriding opinion is against, I'll make do with vanilla. I can see that would feel truer to the original.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 15:41:14 by Talps »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 12:52:12 »
Although I don't think I can commit to making regular contributions right now, I might be able to contribute from time to time by making modded tilesets if that's OK with you guys.

Here's a quick remix of tileset #13 (and its matching gradient) with different patterns and a few new additions. Feel free to use it if you like it. The transparent glowing corners and crystal tiles have square collision masks and can be used in layer 3 to decorate solid walls.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 23:23:13 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 17:03:23 »
I just had a look at my area with the tileset and gradient VG posted.

I'm not sure what to say. I don't really know whether i prefer the vanilla tileset or this one; i kinda miss the diagonal squares pattern thingy, and the background stuff in my area was made with the perfectly straight diagonals in mind. But aside from that, i really like how this tileset looks and i absolutely don't mind if this is what we're gonna be using in the level. I've attached a version of my area that has VG's tileset and gradient, and also added in the corner light thingy tiles VG decided to make (which i really appreciate by the way).

Also, LPChip, i said i only used tileset 13 for this area, but as it turns out, i completely forgot that the clouds are from tileset 10. That one's also used for the Christmas Land area, though, so it's probably gonna get edited anyway.

Also also,
Well, having just played through, I was thinking I could do the Black and Dus- awwwwwwwwwww...
I was gonna make it a techno lava mountain and everything... :(
Now i kinda feel bad. I would've loved to see what that would look like.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 17:44:43 »
Its fine, now I'm gonna make a secret haunted mine under a forest.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2020, 23:13:17 »
Here's a slightly different version of my modded Dysprosium tileset featuring background tiles with straight diagonal borders, in case you guys prefer that look.

Also, I think I'll give remixing/remaking tileset #21 a shot.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2020, 23:26:35 »
Also, I think I'll give remixing/remaking tileset #21 a shot.

I was planning on making a separate set for the underground section (which I plan to extend) and copying the above-ground area pretty closely. If you want to remix the tree set, that would be cool. I was also gonna see if I could find a set that would let me do mountaintops-emerging-from-mist in the far background.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 03:47:47 »
It hit me last night that I could do the cutscenes. The first scene in Endless Winter takes cues from the first scene in The Machine, so if I remade the scenes of The Machine in the style of Endless Winter... *bliss*

Also, I've gone overboard with Tileset6. It's still a work in progress, but I'll post soon.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 12:15:52 »
I meant to say, I want to claim Ice Land (Hologram area)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 12:54:40 »
I was planning on making a separate set for the underground section (which I plan to extend) and copying the above-ground area pretty closely. If you want to remix the tree set, that would be cool.

That's pretty much what I did. I've attached both a basic version, which has less detail but probably meshes together better with the other areas, and a somewhat more detailed one that looks better but might clash a bit too much with the undetailed background trees in other default sets. Feel free to choose! But choose wisely, for while the correct tileset will bring you life...

I also modified gradient #21 to make it just a tad more colorful, but since I just read that you're planning on going with a more "misty" look for this area, I'll try to make an alternate version with that in mind and then post both edits.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 13:27:03 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 21:55:43 »
So much going on here. Great! I am lacking behind in keeping things updated. Sorry about that. My time is limited right now. Will try to update it shortly, and I'm also looking into somehow allowing others to modify the lists in the first post.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 23:33:08 »
Advice needed: I'm really struggling with one final detail on Tileset6. I wanted to make the sea floor look like natural coral while also looking like Nifflas' simple patterns. I'm starting to think I should leave it the way it was. Here are 3 attempts from me and the original. (see below)

Edit: I went ahead and finished the set with original style sea floor tiles. It expanded to two tilesets. The second set has a big set piece meant to be that main entrance below the start area. I post these without an demand for their use. I leave it up to the person actually designing the area.

Usage notes: The distant sea floor tiles are semitransparent, so they can be used with most gradient. The blue semitransparent tile in set 6 is meant to be put over flooded interior spaces.

Edit again: The tileset images have been removed. There are newer versions in a recent post.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 15:11:30 by egomassive »

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 08:01:13 »
Those edits of the pipes are so goddamn good.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 08:41:32 »
Small update from my end. I found a way to add the ability to edit a section of the first post. True, I first have to develop it further, so its currently not possible for others to edit the first post, but if all goes well, there will be a possibility to edit the project part in the first post to tell others what you did, claim sections, etc. :)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2020, 12:25:13 »
Advice needed: I'm really struggling with one final detail on Tileset6. I wanted to make the sea floor look like natural coral while also looking like Nifflas' simple patterns. I'm starting to think I should leave it the way it was. Here are 3 attempts from me and the original. (see below)

Definitely use one of these, it'd be a shame not to have fun and mix things up in this proejct. I like the top-left the most, thought the bottom-left seems a bit more classic KS-like.