Petals II

• 10 Replies

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
Petals II
« on: November 11, 2020, 12:37:26 »
I recall a grey warren of silent people, thinking of cold and shadow

When working on Dragon Myth, I had the idea to use Salmoneous' 'Lava' tileset to remake the underground prison section from 'Petals of a Dying Flower' and sneak it into an updated version of Petals as a reward for secret-hunters.

When I came to actually implement this idea (building my own new tileset based on the one from 'Dragon Myth'), remaking one area ended up turning into remaking the entire level. It very quickly became apparent that the finished product was going to end up being bigger and longer than the original game, and I eventually realised that I didn't want it to only be seen by the tiny number of people who might replay a nine-year-old level and hunt out all its secrets. So I cut it out of that game and set out to release it separately. Petals II is currently about three fifths of the way to completion.

I see a dark, empty prison with all its locks on the inside

Inspired by the original, this level reimagines and rebuilds each area from the ground up with (mostly) original tilesets, new layouts and challenges, and a few surprises thrown into the mix.

It also has colour.

All my memories are of darkness and cold, deep in my eyes and bones. Do I honestly believe there could be anything other than this?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:46:26 by Talps »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: Petals II
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 22:35:22 »
Looks good so far. I'm starting to think I ought to use "attachments" like cinematic filters too. They add so much.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 08:35:19 »
Oh boy. I just finished replaying the original because of the update. Gotta say I'm looking forward to this! Is that a custom character?

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 01:34:29 »
Oh boy. I just finished replaying the original because of the update. Gotta say I'm looking forward to this! Is that a custom character?

It is! :) She is carrying a lantern.

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 01:48:12 »
About 80% done, though not sure what I want to do with the final area. I'd love to make a sizeable puzzle but that isn't my forte...

Thanks to Veg for designing the plants for me in the below screenshot.
And for picking that shade of brown.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 02:31:49 by Talps »

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 11:33:10 »
Hey, that is really nice. I didn't play the original level yet, but I am planning to. And I am looking forward to this one.
By the way, the screens gives me Knytt Underground vibe. Is it intended or it's just a coincidence?

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 12:04:32 »
I wouldn't say it's a deliberate choice, but I guess I want a similar atmosphere to parts of KU - darkness, oppression, captivity, escape, beauty, mystery. So I may have unconsciously used the same techniques.

That screenshot comes from an area that, somewhat ominously, I'm mentally referring to as The Hive.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:10:14 by Talps »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 13:33:19 »
Yep. Looking forward to this one!

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 14:27:37 »
I have ten screens left to complete for the final area. Then I will be duplicating a bunch of screens and programming some flags.

Then there will just be some secret content to add in and program.

Then two cutscenes.

Then testing.

And beta-testing!

Point is, it's going well.

I've been contemplating posting a screenshot of the final area here, but right now I'm leaning towards letting you wait and see it ingame.
Nearly there!

EDIT: Final area is complete! Needs ending cutscenes and some secret content...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 02:31:46 by Talps »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 06:22:12 »
Dear Talps,

ur levl is kool

X)

In a more serious way: looking forward to this! I think not showing off the last area is the right choice. Good luck with the secret content!

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 02:44:25 »
Thx!

As of now, the level is complete (apart from one screen)! I need to sit on it for a week or two (always the hardest part) before giving it a good play through. I'll then probably be contacting a few people asking if they'd be willing to beta-test.

On that note, I have found that the most helpful thing a tester can do is record their playthrough and send me the video. If this is something you can and would be willing to do, feel free to let me know! I plan on having two rounds of testing if I can wrangle it, so it may be a little while before I call on you. Note that I would categorise the level somewhere between hard and very hard - this might get revised during or after beta testing (hopefully by getting easier).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 12:45:14 by Talps »