LPChip Hooray Fun Time [KS+][Large/Challenge/Scenic]

• 24 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: LPChip Hooray Fun Time [KS+][Large/Challenge/Scenic]
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 09:19:54 »
Now that this level is out and we can talk to LPChip about it, I have a question I've been wondering about since early development. The LPChip character in this level is based on the DJ from Knytt Underground seen in LPChip's current forum avatar. Do you identify with the DJ, LPChip? I felt like that was a big misunderstanding.

Also, congratulations on completing this level everyone! Vegetal's minigame was amazing. The cameo's were cute. The jokes were terrible. The ending was epic. Thanks for including me in the game even though I mostly just observed from a safe distance. After pounding Endless Winter into a finished product I was not enthusiastic to join a similar project. However, LPChip certainly deserves the honor and I'm glad you all (eventually) made such a fine level without me.

The DJ from Knytt Underground, featured in my avatar is a reference to swedish (I think?) DJ Dub Dictator, who makes electronic/dance/dubstep kind of music.

The reason why I have this in my avatar is basically for the following reason: I wanted to update my avatar and put something of Knytt Underground in it. As Knytt Underground doesn't have much music related things in it, using this scene was an obvious choice. I am an electronic producer though I would say our music styles are quite different. So to answer the question, do I identify with DJ Dub Dictator... honestly, not entirely, but it was not a problem for me playing the level.

PS. I'm still working on my video review/playthough. I'm pretty far in it, still about 45 minutes of video to edit...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:24:44 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 18:19:12 »
The video is done! YAY

Enjoy it here, but keep note, its duration is OVER 3 hours! Reserve some time to watch it, or watch it in chunks if you must. I'd love to hear feedback from you guys about the video. I did my best to make it something special. Feel free to comment directly on the video or in this topic. :)

The link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHSZxjocelc

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 13:37:23 »
Phew, that was a lengthy video. I'm glad you enjoyed. It was great seeing your responses.

And well done for cruising past every secret (including the reference to The Explore Challenge). :P

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 21:48:15 »
Yeah... Sorry 'bout that... I have plans to replay the level to actively find the secrets. The problem with the blind-run was that I felt that my skills were not as good as they once were, so instead of just searching everywhere I was more focussed on playing the level to keep the pace of the video high and enjoyable. There were a few places where I thought there could be a secret and I did look for some places but wasn't like: I'm going to check every single wall and back-track after a new powerup just to see if there is a secret. I did want to see every screen so I did back-track for that, but nothing more than that. It is something I do plan to do in my 2nd run though.

Not sure I will be recording that however. But I actually did consider recording a 2nd run to find all secrets, then edit it in at the end as a bonus feature. But given that I already spent more than a week on what I brought out now, I decided against it.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 23:43:18 »
It was a fun watch and it was nice to see you had a good time with the level :^^:  Also, it was cool to get some background on the music.

Sorry for that 10th coin :oops:  I tried to make that area a bit more noticeable using detector blocks, but it seems my plans were expertly foiled XD
Some KS levels by me:

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 08:51:01 »
Ah! Yeah, I still don't get how I missed the detector. But that is just a silly bugger on my end, enjoying the experience so much I just breezed through it not even finding a single secret, which I normally am pretty capable of doing. I think the "I want this to be a great viewing experience" took the better part of me.

Glad you enjoyed the video though. :)

Btw, if you had shifted the entrance to the other side of the ledge, I would not have seen it as shadow and would have investigated it most likely. Now it just seemed like I'm entering a cave so this is probably shadow, even though the same shadow was not on the inside, but that never clicked in my mind.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2020, 18:44:57 »
Finishing this level took me a while. I played the level area by area, day by day and it took me two weeks to complete, since some of the challenges were quite hard for me, because this is the first (large) KS level I have played for years.
And is the most beautiful one so far and really out of the ordinary. The level design is perfect, the music is epic, the challenges are deeply thought and well designed.
The level gave me a lot of inspiration how the Knytt Stories levels can be made today using KS+. Even I have played the egomassive's feature demostration in the past, I somehow overlooked much of the features.
Thank you guys all for your awesome work.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 23:27:22 »
You may want to view my Lets Play too, I was quite a bit quicker than 2 weeks luckily, but I share some insights too, given that I made music for my own level without knowing I made music for my own level.... or something. :D

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHSZxjocelc

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2020, 19:47:36 »
Thank you for the link. I might noticed it on Niffcord, however it was quite a time until I finished the level so I completely forgot about it.
By the way, your music is great. I mostly enjoyed the one in the cold mines and I now find myself humming the main theme during the day.
I am still halfway through the let's play :) Looking forward to your reactions in the later parts of the level.

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 23:22:01 »
Just finished it, although I'm sure I wasn't everywhere. Ending was probably the most epic one I've ever encountered in a KS level.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)