The Randomizer Room

• 3 Replies
The Randomizer Room
« on: July 13, 2020, 12:05:39 »
Randowhat?
For those of you not familiar with the knytt stories randomizer, it's basically a tool that allows to to take any Knytt Stories level and mix it up a little. You can randomly replace all the enemies with different enemies, randomly add enemies, rearrange decoration, etc. It provides a way to spice up your favorite (or least favorite) levels.

So what's this room, then?
The Randomizer Room is a Knytt Stories unlike any other, in that it is specifically designed for randomizing. It contains 50 rooms which the randomizer populates with enemies and the golden creatures from KS+. Juni must then cycles through the rooms, carefully collecting any golden creatures she can find amidst the chaos. The idea first came about when DonDoli randomized golden creatures into A Strange Dream, and realized that one of the secret rooms had a similar mechanic. StraightFlame set out to make the idea a reality, which I then added onto, and you can see some of the results below:
Spoiler: screenshots (click to show/hide)

Looks awesome! Where can I get this?
You can get the randomizer here, and the most up to date version of the randomizer room should be attached to this post. The most reliable settings for the randomizer are currently True Random and
Code: [Select]
EFU->YE
What can I do to help?
We're trying to pack the randomizer room full of 256 different screens. If you think you can design a fun challenge room, go for it! If you just want to playtest the existing room and give feedback on what feels jank/unfair, that's great as well. If you're not a mapper or a player, why not shout out some suggestions for the powerups room? Currently we've only got locks for golden creatures, so if coins and artifacts get in there, how would that change it? And of course if you have any other suggestions/ideas, don't be afraid to contribute. With enough people we can build something awesome.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 00:31:27 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Re: The Randomizer Room
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 15:33:14 »
Since we're doing this now, i made an updated version that includes some rewards for getting coins and artifacts, changes the objects in the randomizer screens to stuff from the "decoration" class (the ones in Glip's version are from two separate classes), and added some flag stuff that checks if you're using KS+ and gets rid of the GC block stuff (and the coin and artifact stuff of course) if you aren't.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 15:01:35 »
Hello! I would like some help getting this to work.
Spoiler: Troubleshooting (click to show/hide)

Thanks for your help!

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 16:08:23 »
Code: [Select]
Randomization rules:
        True Random Randomization Rule [E (112 objects)]
        True Random Randomization Rule [J (4 objects)]
        True Random Randomization Rule [P (12 objects)]
There aren't any enemies in the level normally, so you need to add "D->E" instead of just "E". I might change that in later versions of the level.