[Challenge/Playground] [Normal] [Large] Forgotten Realms

• 35 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: [Challenge/Playground] [Normal] [Large] Forgotten Realms
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 19:59:13 »
Wow, I didn't realize there were new replies after all this time! I hadn't checked for so long...  Thanks for the feedback and kind words, guys :D

Spoiler: @bernd (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: @JanSun (click to show/hide)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline JanSun

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 08:34:01 »
Oh, thank you. I had gotten
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 21:21:31 »
The level has been updated to version 1.1!

• Fixed a few minor bugs.
  • Added a new small bonus area: Emerald Valley.
  • [KS+] Added cyan artifacts. Collecting all seven of them will unlock a (very subtle) easter egg.
  • Minor additions to the endgame area.

[ Download Forgotten Realms v1.1 ]

If you're curious about the new stuff but don't want to explore the entire level again just to see it, feel free to refer to the hints below!

Spoiler: Access to the new area (click to show/hide)

This will likely be the final version of the level that will be (finally!) uploaded to the level archive, unless any new issues are detected (fingers crossed).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 21:29:40 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 01:10:34 »
Man, this level still rules. Glad you're still updating this.

Also, unless something drastic happens, I think I might do a review on this level soon...

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 00:46:59 »
Just finished this level with nearly everything it has to offer. The only thing I could find in the editor that I have yet to get is
I tried doing that for about half an hour to no avail. How exactly are you supposed to get there? I tried multiple approaches, but nothing seems to work no matter how well I time it.

I also found three minor level design errors, two of which lead to void screens. I can explain how they work if you're interested in fixing them.

Aside from those complaints, this was a great level, though. It has a really impressive amount of exploration and variety. This is exactly the kind of content I look for in KS.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 19:49:24 »
Thank you for playing, glad you enjoyed the level! :D

I was planning on releasing one last update in the next days (which includes fixes for a couple void screens and wallswims that were recently discovered), so I'd certainly be interested in hearing about the bugs you found. Feel free to either post the details here in spoiler blocks or by sending me a PM.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2020, 16:29:08 »
I looked it up and gave it another shot, but that secret seems to be beyond my ability to get.
So I think I'll just have to give up on this and hope that I never run into a level that actually requires this technique for anything more substantial. Thanks for trying to help me anyway.

I did however manage to reproduce the design errors I found and take screenshots of them. For the first one, let the wind take you to the screen above the first screenshot and take advantage of its wrapping nature to let yourself fall to the position where I took the screenshot. Then quickly glide to the screen to the left and jump. If you're high enough to cross the top end of the screen, you'll end up in a void screen above it.

The screen from the second screenshot has a ceiling with weird collision that allows it to be partially entered. Not sure how it works, but you can actually go through a hole in the middle of it, which will send you to the screen above it and cause you to start wall-swimming. Head to the left to enter a void screen.

The third screenshot shows another ceiling with weird collision, but I haven't managed to exploit this for anything.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 17:22:25 by kilicool64 »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 16:16:08 »
Yeah, it's very hard to pull off and it's only for a screen that doesn't contain any items/codes (not even good aesthetics). I'm certainly not planning on making any mandatory or even optional challenges like this unless it's for a Lunatic level or something.

Thank you very much for the bug report!  I was already aware of issues #1 and #3, but I hadn't noticed those non-solid tiles in #2 (how in blazes did I miss an entire ceiling??). I'll release an update after New Year that will patch most of these except for maybe one of them, which will be turned into another pointless easter egg instead :P2
Some KS levels by me:

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 00:07:51 »
Done playing through the new version. Still a very memorable level overall with lots of attention to detail. And I appreciate receiving my own pointless Easter egg :P2

What I don't appreciate as much is a certain other Easter egg. I don't know if it's actually a new addition or if I just overlooked it the first time, but it really freaked me out, mainly because of how unexpectedly creepy it was. I only managed to find and test it in the editor, but I believe the intended way to trigger it is by

I'm not even gonna try to do that, as it sounds like another one of those advanced techniques that only hardcore players can pull off. And random jump scares like this really aren't my thing.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2021, 13:51:48 »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2021, 14:40:43 »
Probably shouldn't have done that near midnight O_o And yeah, I realize that this is just a joke aimed at the 1% of hardcore players who like to break levels using engine exploits. (And at the other 1% who spend too much time scavenging levels for secrets in the editor :P2)

Also, in case you were wondering, yes, I also found

I see you still haven't put this level on knyttlevels.com. In case you're still open to fixes,

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2021, 00:25:28 »
Great level, beautiful graphics, but I'm kinda stuck because I can't find hologram. I've already got all other power ups, all keys except purple one and more than half of coins and golden creatures. I can't find any place that I¨m missing, so can someone pleas give me some hints where to look for it (area, etc.)?

Edit: I already found it. Also, have I mentioned how great is this level?

Little hint for others who may get stuck:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:53:26 by Polana »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2021, 12:02:18 »
Thank you for playing, glad you enjoyed the level! :D  Really sorry for the late reply (this is becoming a recurring pattern for me, at this point... :S )
Some KS levels by me:

Offline cman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2022, 13:33:41 »
What is the most up to date file for this level? the one on the first post, or the one that says version 1.1? thank you in advance

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2022, 15:21:37 »
What is the most up to date file for this level? the one on the first post, or the one that says version 1.1? thank you in advance
You didn't actually check the URLs for both links, did you? If you did, you would've noticed they're the same. So there's no difference. Vegetal Gibber simply replaced his old upload and posted the same URL again.

That reminds me, this level still isn't available on knyttlevels.com.