Levels from a czech KS fan page

• 2 Replies

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
Levels from a czech KS fan page
« on: November 25, 2019, 23:34:19 »

Spoiler: About (click to show/hide)

Let me take you on a journey to the ancient times. The year is 2007. Knytt Stories was just released.

Some of these levels were never shared here.

Because most of the levels have a Czech script, I translated a few of them with a help from Andula for you to be able enjoy their atmosphere.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 18:22:05 by Comhon »

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Re: Levels from a czech KS fan page
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 02:20:17 »
A blast from the past indeed :D Old school bare-bones levels rich on wallswims and void screens :) I've done Juni's Walk Hardcore, Psychedelic Adventure and Stairway to Hell so far. All 3 are about the same in difficulty, the latter is probably the most well-done, Juni's Walk Hardcore is the least well-done of them.
Psychedelic Adventure even has a secret area accessible through a void screen. It was meant to be a secret, but wasn't finished and thus the intended entrance was removed.
Mini-challenge: complete Stairway to Hell by reaching the win screen from below by wall-swimming rather than from above :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:24:40 by GrayFace »

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
Re: Levels from a czech KS fan page
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 17:16:38 »
I played Legend of Second town. It's decent enough by the standards of early KS levels, and clearly had plenty of effort put into it.

Although it has some pretty questionable design decisions. Such as not starting you off with the run powerup and making you go through some pretty tedious challenges to get it. Or the large amount of backtracking, particularly when you try to do things in the wrong order. However, the biggest problem is that the progression doesn't really make sense and causes a lot of confusion regarding the level's main objective. I get the impression that it was changed late into development without the creator fully considering the consequences.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

It doesn't help that the level seems to have no ending. I had to open it in the level editor to confirm that I didn't overlook anything.

Also, the only good thing I can say about the translation is that I believe I usually understood what it was trying to say.

Hope this doesn't come off too harsh. I still had some fun with the level, and I appreciate you sharing it here. I just don't think it really holds up.