Scaler - Borderless fullscreen mode for most of older Nifflas games.

• 4 Replies

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
Similar to Ctrl+X zoom found in KS Ex and KS+. Can be applied to any game made with Multimedia Fusion 2 or its predecessors that doesn't use DirectX for graphics output. Makes the game scale to whole screen without the need for resolution change. Also lets you remap keys.
I finally played Riddle with it and it was really cool.
Knytt Stories Level Editor (Ex) was the reason I've implemented Windowed mode option.

Download it here: https://grayface.github.io/ks/#Scaler-for-MMF-Games

Sadly, doesn't work for Operator Status, because it uses DirectDraw. Same goes for Level Editor Plus and Knytt Stories Simul mod. Doesn't work for Saira and Night Sky - they hang.

WaDF, first Modarchive Story, Mushroom Engine, Riddle, Knytt and its mods, Knytt Experiment, Knytt Stories and its mods KSAdvanced and ACO are all tested and working fine.

DirectDraw support may come in the future, together with better non-integer scaling. I may also implement drawing old games through DirectDraw to fix the FPS issue caused by Windows Aero aka WDM.
Compatibility with Saira and Night Sky may also come in the future, I have an idea for that.

P.S. Feel free to post it on Multimedia Fusion related forums. I was amazed at how greedy and messed up ClickTeam is, not even allowing people who didn't pay them to view some forums.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 12:25:06 by GrayFace »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: Scaler - Borderless fullscreen mode for most of older Nifflas games.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 12:55:34 »
Thanks, this is great! Now I can replay WaDF without my "fancy" graphics card making it look terrible. I suspect this might be handy for streaming, too!

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 17:50:51 »
It works with the KS level editor as well! I can finally see what I'm doing without having to click on "Test Level" every ten seconds C) Too bad it doesn't work with KS+'s level editor for some reason, though... It seems this conflicts with the built-in script editor somehow, but I'm not sure.

Also, I found a minor bug: all UI elements in the settings panel (except the hotkey textbox and its label) disappear when you press the ALT key (e.g. when you try to set up a new activation hotkey). It only happens the first time you do this after launching the program, and the missing options can be made visible again by hovering the mouse pointer over them.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 14:05:43 »
It works with the KS level editor as well! I can finally see what I'm doing without having to click on "Test Level" every ten seconds C) Too bad it doesn't work with KS+'s level editor for some reason, though... It seems this conflicts with the built-in script editor somehow, but I'm not sure.
It's made with MMF2 version that uses DirectX for graphics output. Since Vista, you kinda have to do it, because all GDI graphics has a forced V-Sync applied to it, which doesn't go well with 50 FPS of KS. I'm still on MMF2 from 2010. I've seen 2.5 floating around though, so I'll try to build the game executable with it.
New version of KS Ex level editor will have a similar script panel of its own and will support KS+ features setup.

Also, I found a minor bug: all UI elements in the settings panel (except the hotkey textbox and its label) disappear when you press the ALT key (e.g. when you try to set up a new activation hotkey). It only happens the first time you do this after launching the program, and the missing options can be made visible again by hovering the mouse pointer over them.
Thank you! I noticed this bug a lot in my programs since switching from XP to Win 7, but always though it happens randomly (Windows vs old Delphi version is to blame). Now I can investigate.

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 21:08:02 »
Thank you a lot for this piece of software. Just played GTF and now I am really looking forward to WADF. You made me to try playing it again (and hopefully I will finish it this time).