Preview vs. WIP

• 1 Replies

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
Preview vs. WIP
« on: April 29, 2009, 00:29:31 »
There is a deal bit of overlap between the two terms, and I have been having trouble establishing in my own mind what definitions they have in the context of this forum.

Firstly, I shall establish my terms:

• An "article", in the following definitions (though not strictly, at all), is an abbreviation for "article describing a project", merely shortened for brevity
  • WIP, standing for "work in progress", strictly means anything that is not done, but is being worked on, which does not require an article for qualification, as it is the project itself, rather than an article.
  • A preview is an article for anything which is not currently fully available (a view of what is to come).  A preview may include images associated with a WIP, a demo, and textual information.

Now, I present my problem:

As a preview and a WIP are not only overlapping qualifiers, but also descriptive of whole different entities themselves, I think they are not the best of terms for describing articles (of course, describing the associated WIP) presented in the development showcase (assuming the article of interest is a preview).

And, of course, my proposition:

Two new terms be adopted, each describing a preview and WIP acceptable in the development showcase by the current standards, with my own two examples following (the acronyms could use some work, but at least the idea is there):
  • IWP (interactive work in progress): A work in progress (WIP) available to the public as an interactive demonstration of current status (unless, of course, in a certain, case some noninteractive form of demo would suffice)
  • PWI (Preview with IWP): A preview of a WIP, with an interactive demonstration included, fulfilling the requirements of posting in the showcase board

Any thoughts, or possibly better acronyms? :)
o__  o

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Preview vs. WIP
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:15:17 »
A preview is a review but before the actual product is finished. A review is an article with images to present something but not spoil too many facts so you still don't exactly know whats coming when you actually play/see the work yourself.

A work in progess is part of what you'll get. Work is defined as the project itself, and the in progress states that its not finished. Thats how I based my idea around the description.

But to get things less confused, I changed the description for Dev. Showcase now. It now says that you must provide a link but that the content doesn't have to be the full thing.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex