• 33 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental][Small]Between the Seas
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2023, 21:17:10 »
This is one of the best enviromental levels I've played so far

Oh wow, that is high praise.

and makes me want to drop everything and either go to the coast of the Baltic sea (my favourite vacation destination, haven't been to North sea yet) or at least make my own level that will be tied to one place like this one.

Please do make a level about a real place! Looking at Calexico and Alcazar, it really is yielding quite interesting results! And I say that as someone who usually prefers the fantastic!

It was also a really interesting challenge, trying to find ways to portray a real place.

I love everything about this level, the cats, the landscape, the changing weather, even the cake in the fridge is great (seriously, try it for real when you have chance, it's so yummy).

In case people are wondering: Polana hunted down a recipe for that kind of cake and baked it. She didn't actually move into the Knytt dimension to raid the fridge.

Northern German / Hmpf Cake Facts:

I don't actually like Friesentorte much, because it includes plum jam/plum preserve, which I really don't enjoy. I was going to use another type of Northern German cake, the IMO very accurately named "Himmelstorte" = "Heaven Cake" - but I couldn't find Creative Commons licenced pictures of that one so easily, so in the end I went with a cake that has its own Wikipedia page...

I was going to link recipes here but it's a little tricky to find English ones that also look somewhat authentic; will have to do some research...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 21:35:43 by Hmpf »

Offline Polana

• LOCP and proud
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2023, 21:29:39 »
I used this recipe, which was not too hard to follow even though it's in German (although I spent one semester in Austria so I can understand something). My cake was much messier and I have no idea how authentic it was because I never had the real thing.

Offline fabiche

• I love 2D games :-D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2023, 13:42:06 »
I just replayed it...definitely one of the most beautiful environmental levels I ever played
thank you for this enchanted parenthesis ;-)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2023, 12:28:55 »
Thank you, fabiche.

Heads-up to everyone: I just discovered I forgot to set the level type to KS+ when I compressed this. Will fix when I do an update in the medium-term future (I mean to add a couple of objects, too). Until then, please be aware that this is a KS+ level. I'll add that to the original post here too.