Help requested (webdesign stuff)

• 0 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Help requested (webdesign stuff)
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:38:05 »
As some of you may know, we run an old version of SMF (The forum software). SMF is supported up to php 5.5. In the past we ran php 5.4 and all was great. Then php kept developing to version 7, and slowly, ISP's started to drop support for SMF until the latest 5 version, which is 5.6.

We currently run 5.6 but given that this version of SMF doesn't actually support it, using hacks, we're still using it, but not everything works as it's supposed to do.

Now, php 5.6 is already quite old, and support for it will be dropped at some point. I've tested this version of SMF with php 7 and simply put, it will not run. I have no control over my ISP deciding to drop support for php 5.6 so in order to keep the site up and running, we have to migrate to a newer version of SMF.

SMF 2 does run on php 7, and I can convert the database to this php version without problem. But about everything else will not work. This includes the way the site looks, and all mods that have been done in the past, such as the theme switcher, spoiler tag, hidden stars, etc.

But we do need to go to SMF 2 at some point. Although most of these features mentioned above are not mandatory to a working version of the site, the theme is one that really is mandatory.

I do not have time unfortunately to create a new theme for SMF 2, and that's why I'm requesting help. I am aware that we will lose support for things such as giving stars, but at least the forum will still work.

So, if you have experience with php and creating a skin for SMF, let me know.

As a reward for helping me out with this, I will make you a moderator on the forums on the new version.

Thanks for reading this. :) Hope to hear from you soon.

PS: you can reach me either by replying here, sending me a PM or getting in contact through Discord.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex