Having problems accessing this forum?

• 9 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Having problems accessing this forum?
« on: August 13, 2018, 18:56:03 »
A few members have come to me telling me they cannot reach the forum or my other websites.

Symptoms: The site keeps loading and loading and eventually times out with an error similar to: ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

If this happens to you, then for unknown reasons your ip address got blacklisted on the server my website is hosted on. I've already asked my support to release the ipaddresses some of you gave me, and they can access the site again. If you still have trouble, please get in touch with me and let me know the ipaddress that you use that has problems.

You can find your ipaddress by going to https://myip.nl/

I'm interested in the WAN IP Address.

Please don't post your ip address here though. Either in a PM or through IRC/Discord.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
Re: Having problems accessing this forum?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:12:24 »
I was unable to access this forum the last days, but it's working again now, so I guess there's no need for me to tell you my IP, is there?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 11:45:34 »
No there isn't. Only if it doesn't work. Apparently, connections can get blocked if too many attempts to connect are made at once, which seem to have blocked a few connections. Depending on how many connection attempts there were made, it may be a temp ban or permanent ban. I can of course get both types cleared manually, but the temp ban should expire automatically, which I think happened.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 16:13:59 »
That's weird, considering my activity here the last weeks has been limited to just refreshing the index page once or twice a day.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 16:42:37 »
Yeah it is weird. I think there's an underlying problem that support isn't seeing. I dunno.

Hopefully it is something from the past now that I've put in a support complaint.

It may have something to do with the old site though, the nifflas.lpchip.nl redirecting to nifflas.lp1.nl Maybe that generates much traffic.

Perhaps I should remove the redirect and change it to a static page for a while. People getting there have to click a link to continue, asking them to update their bookmarks in the process.

I could look into finding links on the forum in the database and alter them.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 15:41:06 »
It may have something to do with the old site though, the nifflas.lpchip.nl redirecting to nifflas.lp1.nl Maybe that generates much traffic.
Though that still doesn't explain how I got temporarily banned, considering I never access the old URL anymore.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 20:07:52 »
Yeah, I dunno either. Support just one of the reasons can be many connections coming from one ip address can be seen as "suspicious" traffic and is blocked as a result.

Maybe if you have many tabs open to the forum, of if your browser loads every image using a separate connection or something... I dunno.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 16:19:59 »
I do actually have lots of tabs of this forum. But when resuming an old session, I don't think Firefox reloads the content of old tabs until they're accessed again.

Except for possibly the site icons. Maybe Firefox loads this site's icon once for all of its tabs every time I resume my previous session?

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 18:39:34 »
I don't know. I would assume the icon is loaded from cache.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 23:34:11 »
Probably, yeah. I don't think I could simultaneously download icons from hundreds of different sites (yes, I use way too many tabs) that quickly.