Forum Logo Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2018, 12:43:21 | See new unread posts
Home Help Search Arcade Chat Login Register

nifflas.ni2.se  |  Nifflas' Support Forum  |  Level Editing Support  |  Knytt Stories Level Previews  |  Topic: [Challenge/Playground] [Normal] [Large] Forgotten Realms « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: [Challenge/Playground] [Normal] [Large] Forgotten Realms  (Read 706 times)
Vegetal Gibber

Total My honestly gotten stars: 140

Sorry excuse for a game designer

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2018, 15:20:10 »

Hell freezes over! Flying pigs spotted! Bat child found in cave! I'm finally making a large KS level :O

This is a project that was almost entirely born from the plethora of unfinished levels and abandoned tilesets/ideas that have been gathering digital dust in my hard drive for 2-3 years. Instead of finally discarding them for good, I decided to rescue them from oblivion and combine them all into a single large level! (probably not epic-sized, though... but I'm aiming for about 200-250 distinct screens or so).

The level will feature the classic KS progression system, although it will not be completely linear in nature. In order to reach and unlock all areas, you will have to find all power-ups and keys by thoroughly searching the lands and overcoming the occasional challenge. However, you will sometimes unlock multiple new areas at once, enabling you to explore them in any order you like.

Since this is mostly an amalgamation of many different ideas and assets (incomplete/unused tilesets and COs, abandoned levels, drafts, etcetera) and I'm focusing more on quantity over quality here, the overall level of detail and polish may not be on par with some of my other smaller releases. Still, effort is being put into making all areas look interesting and work together in a single (hopefully) cohesive experience.

And now, for the obligatory bullet list of planned features:

• Many different areas (both brand new and imported from abandoned projects) to unlock and explore!
  • Lots of custom assets! (tilesets, gradients, ambiance, music and COs)
  • Hidden areas and bonus collectibles to be found by those with a keen eye.
  • Support for KS+'s map feature and other minor enhancements (KS+ is not required, though).

Some KS levels by me:
ixMarcel

Total My honestly gotten stars: 61

I'll get you during my next save game!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:18:01 »

With your attention to details and keen eye for graphics I'm sure this is going to be one amazing large level.

sergiocornaga
Beta Tester

Total My honestly gotten stars: 129

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 11:31:00 »

This looks quite wonderful, best of luck with it!

Oh, also, are you aware that the term "Forgotten Realms" is kind of in-use already?
Vegetal Gibber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:18:41 »

Thanks for the kind words, guys! Hopefully I'll be able to put all this stuff to good use after years of neglect. That is not to say the level will not feature any stuff made recently, though. In fact, I already made a couple tilesets and a bunch of new COs for this.

@Sergio: I wasn't aware! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I went with that name because I thought it represented the idea of "abandoned levels" very well. It's just a tentative title for now, though, so I might change it at some point.

Some KS levels by me:
lilmanjs16
Beta Tester

Total My honestly gotten stars: 5

Its time for some Pixies!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 02:03:36 »

This looks really well done. Will play it when it is released!

we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud
Vegetal Gibber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 16:58:48 »

Thanks for the interest, hope you enjoy the level when it's finished :)

I've been making good progress on this the last few days (current screen count is a little over 200). Here are a few more screenshots from recently added areas. Check them out if you want to see a quick preview for those or ignore them completely if you prefer to avoid spoilers.

Spoiler: Choose wisely (click to show/hide)

Some KS levels by me:
Pages: [1] Print 
nifflas.ni2.se  |  Nifflas' Support Forum  |  Level Editing Support  |  Knytt Stories Level Previews  |  Topic: [Challenge/Playground] [Normal] [Large] Forgotten Realms « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length