[KS+] [Challenge/Scenic] [Large] Stalwart Constellation

• 5 Replies

Offline StraightFlame

• Super Duper High School Palette-Swapper
    • View Profile
[KS+] [Challenge/Scenic] [Large] Stalwart Constellation
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:41:24 »

Yep, that thread in Knytt Stories Level Releases might have been an April Fools' Day joke, but the level itself isn't! It's just a lot less finished than i made it seem.

Inspired by an Undertale AU called Outertale, Stalwart Constellation takes place in a faraway asteroid field where a knytt civilization has formed after a spaceship crash-landed there many centuries ago. A young knytt named Maart sets out to explore the various nearby asteroids and hopefully... accomplish... something. At some point. He's not quite sure what that would be, though.

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

Planned features:
  • More than 150 recolored versions of standard KS objects
  • Recolored versions of many default and non-default tilesets
  • A large open world, made up of 3 different asteroids for you to explore
  • Multiple endings depending on how many artifacts of each kind you collect, kind of like in Saira but slightly different
  • Item shops, allowing you to acquire powerups in (almost) any order you'd like
  • Absolutely no blackcurrant or apricot jam anywhere in the entire level!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:43:53 by StraightFlame »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: [KS+] [Challenge/Scenic] [Large] Stalwart Constellation
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 13:57:56 »
Looks promising! I like the overall color scheme you're going with and I'm looking forward to trying out the mentioned item shop mechanic. Good luck with this one :D

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 15:03:05 »
Thanks for your concern VG, but I was just April foolin' with that remark! In fact, I suspect that combination blackcurrant and apricot allergies aren't even a real thing.

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 09:56:52 »
Looks like this'll be good. Really like those first 2 screenshots.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 12:20:40 »
Exciting!

So I'm guessing Maart himself will be a custom character?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:33:07 by Talps »

Offline StraightFlame

• Super Duper High School Palette-Swapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 01:11:56 »
It's been almost 4 months, so i guess i should post some kind of update or something.

First of all, here's what the map is like right now. As i've stated in the first post, there are 3 asteroids you can go to. These screenshots are the maps of the first and second asteroid respectively; i haven't started working on the third asteroid yet.

Placeholder and/or duplicate screens have been edited out for the sake of convenience.

I'm not sure, but i think i currently have roughly twice as many screens as i did back in April when i started this thread.
Also, there are currently 22 coins (out of 100) and 3 artifacts (out of 21) that can be collected.

Also, i made 2 new tilesets. And by "made", i mean edited. And by "new", i mean default. So here's a screenshot of one of them, because the Nifforum Discord already knows i'm doing something with tileset 24 so why not:

If you look closely, you can see that i also have a player character now! And just like pretty much everything else in this level, Maart is a recolor of something made by someone else. More specifically, he's a recolor of Luu, a custom character made by Fubaka.

(Also, he wears a lighter shade of blue than everyone else because main character.)