Nested quotes

• 7 Replies

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Nested quotes
« on: April 26, 2009, 10:46:50 »
I'll start out by explaining what a quote nest is.
This
is
a
nest

People on this forum have a really annoying tendency to keep posting quote nests and unnecessary quotes in general. Its like nobody can make a post without quoting someone else, even if it is the last person who said something.
I guess they are doing it to make sure who they are talking to, but quoting is just necessary when you are talking to someone who said something more than one post before you.
I believe everyone on this forum are intelligent enough to follow a conversation without being constantly reminded about who are talking, and everything they have said to each other so far.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Budja

• View Profile
Re: Nested quotes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:05:27 »
Eh, its not really a problem IMO.

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:59:34 »
Its not really a problem, but its getting on my nerves.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 15:00:58 »
I'm definitely not an expert on this, but I think it can eventually cause problems. Something to do with forum memory or suchlike.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 15:37:30 »
I'll start out by explaining what a quote nest is.
This
is
a
nest

People on this forum have a really annoying tendency to keep posting quote nests and unnecessary quotes in general. Its like nobody can make a post without quoting someone else, even if it is the last person who said something.
I guess they are doing it to make sure who they are talking to, but quoting is just necessary when you are talking to someone who said something more than one post before you.
I believe everyone on this forum are intelligent enough to follow a conversation without being constantly reminded about who are talking, and everything they have said to each other so far.

What's wrong with quote nesting?
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Razzorman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 15:48:18 »
Its just annoying to have that huge pointless row of quotes in an a post when the post would have made just as much sense without it.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 16:24:01 »

There are valid reasons for quoting from an immediately preceding post. When messages are not read in the context of the entire topic (eg. from the Recent Posts link or from a person's post history), then it's helpful to see what the response is related to, without actually having to load and read the entire discussion. Also, when the response concerns only a particular point in a preceding post, then it is helpful to isolate that point with a quote before the response.

With that said, I agree that nested quotes are a bit annoying, second only to image quotes.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 18:11:02 »
when the response concerns only a particular point in a preceding post, then it is helpful to isolate that point with a quote before the response.

That is true, but "isolating a point" wouldn't very effectively done with (full (or)) nested quotes, now would it?
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs: