He deleted the website

• 23 Replies

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
He deleted the website
« on: December 29, 2017, 18:48:04 »
I suppose this could be more formal, but http://www.nifflas.ni2.se/ is a blank page now, as with everything formerly on it. Nifflas wrote one tweet about it (which has been withdrawn) before doing so, saying that he planned to withdraw from the internet entirely - while still making music, algorithmic music, but sharing it in real life. Thankfully Niffpage is still up, and it received no request to be taken down. I think these forums will stay up as well.

I've harvested some downloads of Spela Spelet, blubLublu, Battle Combat Fighters, The Big Sea, 7 Nanocycles, Ynglet, the 2 games with Alina Constantin, and Battle Cube. Most of them are Windows-only, however. PM me if you'd like them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:28:54 by canteven »

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
Re: He deleted the website
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:44:31 »
 :sad:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 17:56:38 »
That's a shame really. Given that I actually host the forums and it doesn't cost me anything, I don't mind to keep this up and running, unless Nifflas asks me to take it down, but I'm pretty sure he won't.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 19:14:08 »
Holy crap. That's one way to end the year.

I'd already accepted that Nifflas wouldn't make any further games in the near future, seeing how he'd previously said he wanted to focus on algorithmic music after Uurnog, but this still really sad to hear.

The tweets he didn't delete don't really explain exactly how his departure from the Internet is going to look like, though. In particular, he doesn't specify if he still plans to go through with his plans to make algorithmic music for other people's games, or if he really intends to completely cease to work on anything distributed through the Internet.

The latter would of course be really unfortunate for us fans, but what matters first and foremost is that Nifflas is able to enjoy his life again. We should all respect his choice either way.

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 19:22:28 »
So, is this the end of Knytt Stories as we know it?

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 03:06:53 »
We should all respect his choice either way.

Well as a fan and supporter of his work I feel let down. Especially from the point of view of a 'Knytt Stories' designer; I know the game was flagging anyway but this feels like it'll be the final nail in the coffin for it, as the game becomes so much harder to learn about and much more hassle for new players to get a trustworthy copy of. It makes our work much less likely to be discovered, shared, enjoyed and critiqued.

Not that I advocate getting angry and I would especially stand against turning that anger on Nifflas himself; I'm just disappointed. And though I can get that he might want to disappear from the online community himself, I struggle to understand why he wants to lessen exposure of his games, both for the money brought in by his commercial games and the encouragement of knowing people are finding and enjoying his work, be it commercial or free.

It seems a very strange decision to me. I've posted some dreadful work online in the past (whooo fanfiction of a 12-year-old!) which I would be happy to see lost, like the majority of my 'Knytt Stories' levels, I'd hate to see vanish. Nifflas has so much work to be proud of; I don't understand the rationale of wanting great games like 'Knytt' and 'Knytt Stories' to disappear.

(EDIT: Also, Chip, clicking the Nifflas' Support Forum banner at the top of the forum page now gets a 404 error; can this be rerouted to the forum main page?)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:24:21 by Talps »

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 03:21:45 »
So, is this the end of Knytt Stories as we know it?
We should all respect his choice either way.

Well as a fan and supporter of his work I feel let down. Especially from the point of view of a 'Knytt Stories' designer; I know the game was flagging anyway but this feels like it'll be the final nail in the coffin for it, as the game becomes so much harder to learn about and much more hassle for new players to get a trustworthy copy of. It makes our work much less likely to be discovered, shared, enjoyed and critiqued.

Not that I advocate getting angry and I would especially stand against turning that anger on Nifflas himself; I'm just disappointed. And though I can get that he might want to disappear from the online community himself, I struggle to understand why he wants to lessen exposure of his games, both for the money brought in by his commercial games and the encouragement of knowing people are finding and enjoying his work, be it commercial or free.

It seems a very strange decision to me. I've posted some dreadful work online in the past (whooo fanfiction of a 12-year-old!) which I would hate to see resurface but the stuff I'm proud of, like the majority of my 'Knytt Stories' levels, I'd hate to see vanish. Nifflas has so much work to be proud of; I don't understand the rationale of wanting great games like 'Knytt' and 'Knytt Stories' to disappear.

Judging by these tweets, it doesn't look like he wants people to stop playing his games. That would indeed be a really extreme move. It sounds like he only deleted his site as part of his decision to retire from the Internet and didn't really consider the effects that would have.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 13:12:26 »
@Talps: Done. :)

Also, I found a few other places where it referred to the old location of the form, and changed those accordingly. I also think it is appropriate to change the purple link in the navigation line to a striped out gray one. I don't want to remove the link entirely (although I easily can), for historical value.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 13:25:49 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 16:51:00 »

Also, I found a few other places where it referred to the old location of the form, and changed those accordingly. I also think it is appropriate to change the purple link in the navigation line to a striped out gray one. I don't want to remove the link entirely (although I easily can), for historical value.
Just so you know: You only did this for the Knytt theme. The WaDF and FiNCK themes still have their links to Nifflas' website.

Offline Matthias720

• Chex Quest Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 18:24:38 »
 :shocked: A part of me just died inside. I have a round, bouncy-ball shaped hole in my heart.  :sad:
I use Whaleware.  How about you? :D

Offline zhynna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 17:59:00 »
Bad news :-(

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 05:31:19 »
When Juni shut down that first machine, it was foreshadowing. Seriously though, this will require some changes to KS+ or how it's distributed. Further discussion and questions in the KS+ thread.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 09:19:56 »

Just so you know: You only did this for the Knytt theme. The WaDF and FiNCK themes still have their links to Nifflas' website.
I've altered them too now. Thanks for the heads-up.

MODPlug Central Forum

Offline Wibi

• apologies for the interference
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 17:18:23 »
For the subforum descriptions, you could link to Niffpage for Knytt StoriesWaDF and Knytt, as well as several other things.

Offline EhPlus

• phoomp
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 17:27:25 »
I thought it was just an error. Such a shame :/

However, instances like this are exactly why Wayback Machine exists.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://nifflas.ni2.se/

My Nifflas folder was last modified July 27th, 2017, which should be the day I went on a mass downloading spree of all of Nifflas's content (on his main website and niffpage) as a part of my journey to start porting his older games over to Mac and Linux, as well as some small performance optimizations on Windows. I had to halt progress on everything due to work and school unfortunately. If anything else was added after that day, lemme know so I can add it to the folder. I'm sure other people are archiving his work as well. Thanks for all the great years, Nifflas! Guess I have to keep up with you on the twitterverse now :)