Game doesn't launch [SOLVED]

• 1 Replies

Offline Mikau

• View Profile
Game doesn't launch [SOLVED]
« on: November 24, 2017, 22:17:36 »
Hello

I have 12 hours invested in NightSky, I got it a few years ago. I decided yesterday I wanted to download it and enjoy it again, seeing as achievements had since been added. So I installed it (on Steam), click Play...nothing. Steam shows me as being in the game for maybe 5 seconds, but nothing happens. I tried verifying the game files. Reinstalling the game. Rebooting Steam. Rebooting my PC. Running the game as Administrator. Running the game in Windows 7/8 compatibility mode. Nothing. I really can't figure out why it shouldn't work. My PC is obviously more than capable of playing it. I can play every other game I've attemped to play just fine and as expected, so I don't know? I really want to play NightSky again, so I don't know if it's just me, or if there's something genuinely broken with the game that no one has noticed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

EDIT: I can rapport that the game now works after Windows 10 was updated (???).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:38:37 by Mikau »

Offline kilicool64

• View Profile
Re: Game doesn't launch
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 22:47:06 »
From what I understand, there are a total of three different PC versions of the game.

The first is the original SD version made by Nifflas in Multimedia Fusion 2.

It got replaced by the HD version written in C++ by Nicalis. Nifflas wasn't directly involved with that version's programming, though I think he still played a role in its development.

Then there's the current version that runs on Nicalis' multiplatform engine and has achievements. I doubt Nifflas had any involvement with it. As such, it's unlikely he or anyone else here can help you with this.

If the third version is incompatible with your system, then it'll probably stay that way forever. You'll have to roll back to the second one. You can do so by entering "steam://nav/console" into your browser, then entering "download_depot 99700 99701 7984019300628413761" into the Steam console.