[Playground/Challenge] [Easy] [Dumb] Lemons

• 8 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
[Playground/Challenge] [Easy] [Dumb] Lemons
« on: July 30, 2017, 18:23:43 »
It's the sequel to Tomatoes! This time, exclusively for KS+.

I started working on this about 3-4 months ago, but it wasn't until last week that I finally started building the actual level. I've decided to start a preview thread in order to (hopefully) give myself a reason to commit to this project and actually finish it.

Just like Tomatoes, this will be mostly a playground-type level with a focus on free exploration and humor. However, it will be somewhat larger (probably about 80 screens, although I may even make it Medium sized, which is pretty rare for me) and include more interactive elements. It's not intended to be an epic/memorable adventure by any means, but hopefully it'll make for a rather amusing time waster :P

Main features:

• More lemons than you can possibly handle. Salt and tequila not included.
  • A fair amount of custom material (especially graphics).
  • Both layer 3 AND layer 2/1/0 tiles! Also, objects and gradients!
  • A few different areas to explore and unlock by collecting powers and other items. No golden creatures, though. It'd be a nightmare to spot them among all that yellow.
  • Interact with the inhabitants of Lemonia to unlock hidden quests and learn more about them than you actually want.
  • A lot of non-sequiturs and generally stupid, cringeworthy dialogue.
  • A .knytt.bin file that somehow magically expands into several other files. I kid you not.
  • A chance (*) to win fabulous real prizes just by installing and playing the level!

* Up to 0%

A couple early screenshots:

I intend to finish and release this level sometime around the end of August, if everything goes smoothly.

Also, the infamous bag of potato chips may or may not make a comeback. I haven't decided yet :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 20:53:17 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline SilasMann

• A Real Horse
    • View Profile
Re: [Playground/Challenge] [Easy] [Dumb] Lemons
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 20:02:26 »
Looking forward to playing this once it's released. You know what they say, when life gives you lemons... make a Knytt Stories level out of it.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 17:02:24 »
You know what they say, when life gives you lemons... make a Knytt Stories level out of it.

...which is pretty much the case here. I drew the lemon tileset in a whim a few months ago, with nothing particular in mind. I was just going to release it on my "custom content" thread, but then I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to build a level around it (the tileset will still be released with the "KS Use/Edit OK" license once the level is completed, though). Also, I've been eating quite a lot of lemon popsicles since summer started, which may or may have not contributed to my inspiration 8)

The idea behind this was to start a somewhat simple project so I could relax a bit making stuff without having to think too much, although I'm making a fair amount of custom stuff for it, including: new water animations, new creatures and a couple of tilesets (besides the one shown in the screenshots). Hope you like the end result!
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 14:46:36 »
Current screen count: 72. It will likely end up a Medium sized level after all.

If you always wanted to be surrounded by huge pools of lemon juice and lemon waterfalls: 1) Now you can!... and 2) you're a weirdo.

Spoiler: New liquids -- preview (click to show/hide)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 15:57:54 »
I've been working almost exclusively on The Dithered Temple for the past days, but I managed to make some progress on the COs:

Also, here's a sneak preview of a new area, featuring the "lemony edition" of an old tileset:

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline zhynna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 22:51:30 »
What about the date of release of this level? I really want to play.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 14:03:20 »
Thanks for the interest!  Unfortunately, as it often occurs whenever I try to set a release date of any sort, I was utterly and completely wrong with my previous "August" estimation :oops:  I've been quite busy for the past two months, so I've made very little progress on this level since my last update. Still, it looks like I'll be able to enjoy some free time during the holidays, so I plan to make the most of it and hopefully finish The Dithered Temple and resume work on this level. While I don't think I can give you a definite release date at this point, I believe I should be able to get this ready sometime around early 2018 (possibly by February... that's it, if I haven't jinxed it again by saying it out loud :P2 ).
Some KS levels by me:

Offline zhynna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 22:54:43 »
What about lemons?

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 20:09:59 »
Heya, thanks for asking! Unfortunately, I regret to say I have not made any progress on this level for a really, really long time :sad:  I haven't given up on it completely yet, but I don't have any idea of when both inspiration and motivation will strike again, so it'd probably be best to not hold your breath.

Buuuuut.... even though it won't be Lemons, there's something related to it that I'm currently working on and it's almost complete, so I can say all hope for the epic saga of Tomatoes is not lost yet :)

UPDATE: Tomatoes! Gaiden, which is sort of a sandwich sequel that takes place between the original Tomatoes and Lemons, was released a short while ago. Get it here if you're craving for some tomato goodness!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 13:26:52 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me: