[KS+] [Misc/Challenge] Zepsiman

• 10 Replies
[KS+] [Misc/Challenge] Zepsiman
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:21:17 »

This is a proof-of-concept kinda thing based on the Pepsiman game.

For those of you who don't know: Pepsiman is a Japan-only PS1 game starring the Japanese Pepsi mascot of the same name. The player character moves forward automatically and you dodge obstacles by moving sideways, jumping, crouching, etc.

Since KS+ has a set of objects which make the player move in a certain direction automatically, i decided to fill up an entire level with them and see if it's possible to make what can be described as a low-budget Pepsiman clone. And surprisingly enough, it kind of is.

I don't really have a reason for writing most of the in-game text in NES-era-style Engrish, especially since Pepsiman has, like, the best English you'll probably ever come across in an untranslated Japanese video game.

Download v1.1

There's a reward for collecting all 100 Zepsi Cola cans, by the way. The game keeps track of which cans you've collected, so you don't necessarily have to get them all in a single playthrough.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 14:30:36 by StraightFlame »

Offline SilasMann

• A Real Horse
    • View Profile
Re: [KS+] [Misc/Challenge] Zepsiman
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:35:24 »
The gimmick behind this level is really cool. I don't know if it's been done before but it's new to me!

Spoiler: some bad stuff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:37:51 by SilasMann »

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:57 »
Wowow !  :D Now i have a cape !!! ))) Very good level, thanx ) *star*

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 14:44:28 »
I did find, because of the amount of objects, each screen took a .5 second delay. If you were to do an updated version, being more efficient with the movement objects would be a good idea.
There is also an SGE at x1035y1006, x22y9.
Fixed. I also fixed a potential softlock at x1007y1000. Putting autosave shifts directly above those instant death objects is never a good idea.

Offline zhynna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 19:40:53 »
Finished! Now I want some Zepsi ;-)

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 22:09:14 »
I MUST HAVE SAID, THAT IS A VERY EXCELLENT LEVEL!
I PLAYED WITH THE IDEA OF KS+ MOVE-BLOCKS IN SAVING THALANILL® ENDING CUT-MOVIE, BUT YOU BROUGHT IT TO A FULL-NEW LEVEL IN YOURS LEVEL.

YOU ARE SUPER MAKER!

Now, excuse me while I drink my can of ZepsiCola(tm).

PS.: Secret Project 147/158 HYPE
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 22:11:37 by ixMarcel »

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 00:06:07 »
The enjoyable. I captured 87/100 box but believe some of them rather unkind. I will play more again for to find. Thank you very much!

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:05:17 »
Extremely good. I caught 'em all™.

Talps: I think you can click the delete button on a post, right?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:38:30 by sergiocornaga »

Offline Purple Ink

• View Profile
    • My lore forum
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 12:15:23 »
This was a really neat level! Loved the concept. Some of the things were a little difficult to get, however.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 21:09:18 »
This was a very neat and interesting use of the automation features in KS+ :D  Trying to collect all the cans is very fun and this adds a lot of replay value to the level. I also enjoyed all the references (Pepsiman, Ghost Busters for NES, etc) that I spotted here and there.

My only gripe is that having to finish the entire level after missing a single can before you can even restart is rather frustrating, especially in screens where you don't have enough time to press CTRL+R to retry after failure. I do admit that this may not have an easy solution, though (perhaps something could be worked out by adding invisible shifts so you could press Down anywhere to re-start from some checkpoints, but this could be tricky to implement).
Some KS levels by me:

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 21:38:08 »
Very nice level!

My only gripe is that having to finish the entire level after missing a single can before you can even restart is rather frustrating, especially in screens where you don't have enough time to press CTRL+R to retry after failure.
Yes, I was backing up and restoring my save files, because I didn't know it would be possible to go back and collect the ones that are left over.