[Misc/Challenge] [Easy] [Small] Next Gen Knytt

• 26 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: [Misc/Challenge] [Easy] [Small] Next Gen Knytt
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 15:34:40 »
Indeed. I can always rename the project "Knytt Forever" and spend a few years changing engines, only to release the final product a decade later, exclusively for the console version of Knytt Underground (somehow) :P2

I'm optimistic on this one, though. I'm about halfway done at this moment.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 00:33:55 »
It's ready, folks! Totally not madly rushed into completion and released in pre-alpha stage at all :P2

[ Download the Environmental DLC pack for Next Gen Knytt ]
(file size: ~6MB)

The latest version of KS+ (1.2.9) is recommended.

VERY IMPORTANT: This add-on requires the main level (which you can download using the link in the first post of this thread). Installing it as a standalone level will result in a warning screen (KS+) or a game crash (regular KS) when trying to play.

HOW TO INSTALL & PLAY: Install the .knytt.bin file linked above and answer "OK" when the game asks you if you want to overwrite the existing folder. Then, beat the "main campaign" and backtrack all the way to the left in New Game+ mode. You may use a previous save file from the original level if you have one, although you'll still need to see the ending credits again in order to properly unlock the add-on.

This little expansion features:

• A new small, very relaxing area to freely explore and enjoy.
  • Custom ambient music by Fubaka.
  • Lots of running water. And I mean A LOT. Hmpf would probably approve.
  • Two secret areas (one for all KS versions and a KS+ exclusive one).
  • A new achievement and even more pointless loading screens :P2
  • [KS+ only] Ability to select between all three display modes during the game.
  • [KS+ only] Special lighting/graphical effects and extended dialogue.
  • [KS+ only] Golden creatures! There are 10 of them scattered through the area, and some of them are tricky to find/get. Keep an eye open for them!
  • [KS+ only] An additional bonus area featuring more custom stuff, unlocked by completing 100% of the first area (all powers/items & golden creatures)

Hope you guys enjoy it. Comments and feedback are welcome, as usual.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 11:18:27 »
Great work. The additional bonus area is exceptional.

Spoiler: Feedback (click to show/hide)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 15:01:42 »
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you liked the DLC and tracked down the exclusive bonus area :D

Spoiler: Fixes (click to show/hide)

Also, I forgot to mention that an "Additional Content" section has been added to the first post in this thread, which contains a link to the Environmental DLC pack and will list any other future add-on I might release for this level.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 17:52:30 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 15:40:45 »
It's a great DLC. The aesthetics are exceptional (as to be expected from Vegetal Gibber's levels :P2) and the exploration is fun!
Overall, I'd rate it a solid 10/10!

This user received a free Next Gen Knytt Season Pass in exchange for this positive review.

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 07:12:50 »
This was REALLY GOOD DLC, even though this still precedes the Epilogue DLC that was promise. D'oh. Loved the straightforward puzzle platforming exploration levels, t'was a nice callback to the old-school KS game. I still feel $15 is a bit too much for the DLC, though... I knew I should have gotten the season pass instead. D'OH!

Overall, solid 9.5/10. Excellent work. The secret area (areas?) was/were great as well. Great little cherry on top there.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 00:23:51 »
Man, I hate you! All that work and now you tell me there are seven nachos?! What the heck, man!

I didn't comment on the original release since I gave you my feedback when I tested. Actually I wanted to just say that I hated the DLC man! There was no guidance or direction so I had no idea what I was supposed to do! There were no new achievements so this was a complete waste of time. The areas were so pretty that they made the rest of us look bad; you're ruining KS for everyone with your selfish excellence! There were no proper enemies, none of the combat patches we were promised and the PvP content is still absent! I wanted another boss fight which you totally failed to deliver! Worst of all I paid out £45 for the official strategy guide to the original game because it promised to contain a complete guide to the Environment DLC but it didn't explain how to find any of the golden creatures or secret rooms! This is totally lame! 0/5 stars, complete waste of money!

(Please note, the above post is a joke. This was lovely!)

Spoiler: PS (click to show/hide)

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 20:38:41 »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone :D

@ixMarcel: The season pass and the NGK+ subscription code should arrive to your mail account soon :shifty:

@SC: I regret to inform you that the Epilogue DLC will be delayed indefinitely, until we can come up with an epilogue that is vague and disappointing enough to justify the release of an "Alternate Ending" paid DLC we're sure we can meet the high expectations of our fans.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

@Talps: I'm deeply sorry for all the inconveniences caused by our latest release, especially the issue regarding the strategy guide. It seems both the "Vanilla KS" and the "KS+" editions of the guide were released with the same front cover, so you may have got the wrong book. We'll make sure to issue a fake public apology, blame it all on some poor sap who will be promptly fired and reimburse you with 1000 NGK points you can spend on any NGK merch you like (as long as it is not a shirt, a poster, an action figure, the OST nor the official artbook).

It should be noted, however, that the PvP content IS present in this release, although it is only available in local multiplayer form: you first have to find another player who likes the game as much as you do, then you two can wrestle to the death to decide which one of you is going to be the first to play the new content. This way you can experience a new level of combat realism (force feedback included) that puts all modern FPSs to shame! :D

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 20:48:22 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 00:06:35 »
Raining cheese would have solved all your problems.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 13:06:04 »
Raining cheese would have solved all your problems.

Brilliant!

Some KS levels by me:

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:42 »
First, I can't believe your level isn't in 4K resolution. It's 2017, come on! Second, I was very disappointed I can't customize my character. I can't even buy a hat! But that's not even the worst part... WHERE ARE ALL THE WAPONS?! HOW MA SUPPOSED TO KILL ENEMIS WITHOUT THEM?!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:39:03 by GrayFace »

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 14:45:46 »
4K resolution is only supported when using KS++ and KSEx2 on a Windows 10 system that has the upcoming "Almost-Pointless-but-Absolutely-Mandatory Creators Update" (~10GB) installed. The Weapon Pack DLC is not quite ready yet, though. The deadly Cheese Gun(tm) is being tested as we speak, but we're rapidly running out of spinning nachos to experiment on.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 14:47:23 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me: