KS+ levels using the maps features

• 5 Replies

Offline cman

• View Profile
KS+ levels using the maps features
« on: June 06, 2017, 14:58:29 »
Hello,

I am quickly becoming a big fan of Knytt Stories, currently playing Saving Thalanill.

Looking at egomassive's Knytt Stories + I read that games can include maps. If I use the option "Force map on". I have a map that seems to be giving each screen of the level a different color based on a combination of all colors in the screen. I wouldn't say that they make the map super useful, also some games might not be designed with the map in mind, so for example in Saving Thalanill can suddenly make a big jump on the map when you go from one screen to the next, instead of generating consecutive "rectangles" on the map.

All this makes me think that there are 2 ways of seeing the map:
- Games not designed with maps on mind that you can still force to show a map
- Games designed using maps, and might make them really useful.

But I didn't come across any example of games making good use of maps. Are there any? I guess is the part I miss the most on KS, as I am a metroidvania games fan!

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: KS+ levels using the maps features
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 16:52:15 »
Welcome to the forums! :D

I remember the level Juni's Checkered Past featuring an interesting use of the map function, and I also used this feature in Exploring the Golden Land to highlight the screens that have a golden creature in them by displaying those in a different color (yellow), to give the player a general idea of where they should look for these collectibles. I haven't played many KS+ levels, though, so I'm probably missing other cases.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline cman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 17:21:59 »
Thanks! I am also from Spain! from Vigo, small world!

This is great, I will be playing Exploring the Golden Land for sure. I love games with collectables, and collectables+map+KS is a perfect combination.

I am good to go with those 2 you gave me, but if someone else can post more then I'll be playing KS for long... I am also looking forward to "The Tree of Knowledge".

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 17:52:23 »
Great to see my level mentioned. I'm also a big fan of metroidvania games (there are some references to Symphony of the Night in Saving Thalanill).

Indeed, the map is a very important aspect of Juni's Checkered Past. There are also a lot of collectibles there.

And as far as collectibles+map go, A Climbing Alike is as good as it gets.

Offline cman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 18:56:53 »
@ixMarcel thank you for recommend me A Climbing Alike, it looks great, one more to play!. But first I have to finish Saving Thalanill, I am enjoying it a lot.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 20:16:57 »
Thanks! I am also from Spain! from Vigo, small world!

Pues sí, qué pequeño es el mundo... "indeed"  C)p
Some KS levels by me: