does anyone still have that level where the only music was an ievan polkka remix

• 21 Replies

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
important question

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
God, I wish I knew of this level. This sounds fantastic, but sadly I do not have it.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Is there anything else you remember about it?

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
sure! I figured anyone who played it would remember it for the ievan polkka remix before anything else, but I remember lots of other stuff about it:
- it was pretty old (predates the forum crash, so it must have been before 2009; I know this because I distinctly remember making a post complaining about the music and it's not in my post history), but it was still many months after the game's release
- it was built around going back and forth across a horizontal line of rooms; no vertical room changes. You'd go to the right, then reach the "end" and get a powerup, and a shift would "replace" all the rooms with copies that had more enemies (but mostly identical layouts and visuals); then you had to go all the way to the left to get the next powerup, then right again, etc. until the end.
- I'm pretty sure it was in the Very Hard category. The later rooms had ridiculous numbers of meanies.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Sounds terrible! There's little chance that I kept the level if I ever had it. In my searching I experienced an impromptu dance session, so at least something good came out of it.

Do you have a name or author or best guess at either, or are those the things you're looking for?
If the latter, do any of the names listed here jog your memory?
Also, might I inquire as to the pressing need?

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Do you have a name or author or best guess at either, or are those the things you're looking for?
Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest idea. Certainly would make it a lot easier to find, but alas, no.
If the latter, do any of the names listed here jog your memory?
No, though that's no assurance that the level isn't there. I can't find a working link to the torrent file either (not that anyone would be seeding it).
Also, might I inquire as to the pressing need?
Yes.

Edit: To narrow the search a bit, I did some naughty scripting and downloaded the entire knyttlevels.com archive, extracted all the .ogg files and went through them. Aside from getting rickrolled, I can safely say that the level I'm thinking of is not on knyttlevels.com.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:47:04 by minmay »

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
The torrent was still working about 5 months ago. Also, how long did it take you to get through all the .ogg files from KS archive  :shocked:

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
yeah but dropbox is dropbox so the file's gone. It only took about an hour to go through all the ogg files, since there are only 3,361 of them and you don't have to listen to a song for very long to identify whether it's the Leekspin song or not.

@LPChip: Do you still have that copy of the old forums? What kind of condition is it in? I presume that you'd have to be pretty lucky for it to still have a working search feature, but is it bad enough that there's no way to figure out which post was in what topic?

If you're wondering where I'm going with this... the topic minmay posted in (to complain about the music) would have the level named in it, if not in the topic name itself, right?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
I do not have anything of the old forums anymore, so I can't help out with that.

I do have that huge torrent on my pc though, but I have no idea what level it was, so that doesn't help. I could post a listing of all level names from the torrent if that helps.

Spoiler: torrent list levels (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 20:50:46 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
As I said, I didn't recognize it in that list. If someone wants to post the torrent file and seed it, I'd be happy to check its contents more thoroughly like I did with the knyttlevels.com set.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
I remember reviewing the game, but unfortunately I remember neither the title nor the author :( I tried to look for it among my levels and on the Web Archive but couldn't find it.

Other than the music, I remember it using some tilesets reminiscent of Earthbound (or taken straight from the game, can't remember)
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
I'll host the level dump for a limited time only, given that it is not a small file.

Link removed

Will probably delete it after a few weeks.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 13:12:12 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Very kind of you! I went through the files in that dump, and unfortunately, the level in question isn't included.