[KS+][challenge/scenic][hard][small] May The Wind Carry Me Away

• 17 Replies
Hello!
I havent been making knytt levels or tilesets for years but a few days ago i came back here and found that my old tilesets have been used to quite some extent over the years. This inspired me to pixel up a new tileset and a little demo level for it :)

Features one new tileset, my brothers old "thin forest" tileset and 3 old songs of mine.
All custom content in it is up for grabs and remixes.

EDIT:
Level is updated:

• It now only supports KS+
  • More screens and a new progression.
  • More custom objects.
  • Fiddled with the tileset so some rock tile combinations look better.
  • Hand drawn intro and ending scenes   8)

Knytt Stories archive link

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 00:56:03 by BanderAnder »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [Environmental/challenge][small][hard] May The Wind Take Me Away
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 20:53:53 »
Lovely new tilesets. I particularly like the fading of the pattern on the earth tiles, and the way the rocks look almost water-colored. I'm a fan of you and your brother's old tilesets, and I've developed some of my own skill by studying them. Glad to see new stuff.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 20:57:05 by egomassive »

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 20:54:23 »
Good job! A level is always a cool way to showcase a tileset. I liked the owl CO, may use it in my current project.

There's one big problem though. The level is environmental except for 2 screens which are way too hard! The level would be better off without those screens, but that's just my opinion ;).

(Also, aren't the categories Environmental and Challenge never supposed to mix? :P2 I think this matter stirred some discussions on the forum before...).

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 22:10:08 »
Thanks!

Of course you may use the owl! Im a bit unpleased though that I did not give it black outlines like KS original objects, didn't strike me until after i animated it  :/

Heh i know they are hard :shifty:. The double jumps requires nearly perfect timing. Did it feel impossible or could you make it?

Uh-oh! Maybe i should change categories then. Dont want to stir up old conflicts  X-P

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
Re: [challenge/scenic][very hard][small] May The Wind Take Me Away
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 12:10:37 »
Cool!  I've very excited to play this.  Wow, seems like as soon as I come back so do a lot of other people!  Must be the "year of the Knytt!" 

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 14:31:05 »
Cool!  I've very excited to play this.  Wow, seems like as soon as I come back so do a lot of other people!  Must be the "year of the Knytt!" 

I could say the same thing. Seems we chose the best possible moment to come back :P2

@BanderAnder: It was a short but charming new level. I enjoyed the custom graphics and music :D  They give this small level a lovely atmosphere. The new tileset is very nice, and I especially like the trees.

I have to agree with ixMarcel, though: the two challenge screens feel very out of place in what would have been an Environmental level otherwise (if those two screens were removed/replaced). Personally, I think the level would work best as a pure Environmental, or as a hard Scenic level if the difficulty curve was smoother (if there were other, easier challenges before those two hard screens).

Like sergiocornaga said once, I'm not opposed to use Environmental/Challenge to designate levels that are mostly environmental but include some easy challenges, although I think the sudden spike in difficulty here makes the Scenic label more appropriate for this particular case.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 23:57:06 »
I actually found the challenge screens to be nice and refreshing. I just dashed through them adjusting my initial jump/entry in small ways and it took me maybe 5 or 6 tries at most for each.

I really liked how the huge chunky blocks coalesce into a beautiful, coherent landscape. It's a bit amazing to me because when I first saw the screenshot I didn't think the effect could be that impressive when travelling around the level.

Also, terrific secret boulder screen!

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 02:20:14 »
Great tilesets! Pleasant little level!

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 05:06:32 »
This is pretty nice level! Thanks for returning, BanderAnder. If I wanted to use Song255 in a future level, what title would I refer to it with? And would I just credit it to 'BanderAnder'?

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Hey, it's not like you weren't warned! Anyway, this is because the KS+ no-climb object is used rather than the standard KS one, so it's only not climbable in KS+. I've seen this mistake many times, so I wonder if the KS+ editor should maybe make it more obvious that object is a KS+ exclusive, since it's easily confused for the vanilla version...

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 21:10:19 »
Short, but sweet. I was a little taken aback by the sudden spike of difficulty (aka that room to the right of the double-jump) at first, and I was stumped by the tough first mountain jump for a while, but then I got it and managed to beat the level. Welcome back, my dude!!

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 07:07:01 »
... I've seen this mistake many times, so I wonder if the KS+ editor should maybe make it more obvious that object is a KS+ exclusive, since it's easily confused for the vanilla version...
I didn't realize this was becoming a problem. I should look for a solution then.

Offline David C

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 18:07:26 »
Nice level!

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 18:21:46 »
Thanks all!  :D
@Headgrinder "year of the Knytt!" Nice!  XD

@Sergicornaga Glad you liked it! "BanderAnder - The Abandoned Garden" will do fine.

The no climb issue is easily fixed of course. Will upload new version and miiiight add another secret screen  :shifty:

Offline Fred

• Don't give up, skeleton!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 21:14:02 »
A very nice and cute level :D
The tilesets are very well made  <3
I loved how did you display the signs in the first screens, it really brings something to the level  ;)

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 00:18:35 »
The level is updated!

see edit in main post!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 00:33:18 by BanderAnder »