[Environmental/Maze]Frozen

• 12 Replies

Offline Fred

• Don't give up, skeleton!
    • View Profile
[Environmental/Maze]Frozen
« on: February 13, 2017, 18:21:19 »
UPDATE:(7/06/2017)

Last fixed version:https://www.dropbox.com/s/3n2x11ir5dnn0am/Fred%20-%20Frozen.knytt.bin?dl=0

-List of changes
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE:(19/02/2017)

-List of changes

Thank you everyone for all of your feedbacks and for the advices to make my level better, I read all of them  <3
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE (14/02/2017): I made a fixed version of this level  ;)

List of changes

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

:) Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and I just finished my first Knytt stories level. I use this forum so I can get feedback and commentaries about my level.
         My level name is Frozen, (by Fred), and I published it in the Knytt Stories Level Archive. It's not a large level, I beat my level in 18 minutes.

Any help or advices to improve my level is welcolme  ;)
And another thing: English is not my main langage, and I first made my level in french, then translate myself in english. There may be some inprecision but you should understand my story (even if I think it isn't told very well, but It was the better I could do).

I gave everything in my first level, I want to thank you if you will try it and I hope you will like my level <3 <3 <3

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 18:03:11 by Fred »

Offline CWolvie

• Expect the unexpected.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Maze]Frozen
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 18:44:21 »
Hey, welcome to the forum, newcomer! C)

The screenshots look good, I'll download your level as soon as possible. :) Well, it's been a long time since I've played some KS level so I hope I didn't forget how to play :D
Finished levels:
(my first try)

“Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.” ~ Khalil Gibran

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 20:31:14 »
Welcome to the forums, and congrats on releasing your first level!

The level was a tad bit longer than I thought it'd be (in fact, I think this could be classified as a "Medium" size level, instead of "Small"), but that didn't impact the experience negatively at all for me. I liked the fairy-tale vibe of the story and the scenario. I particularly liked your custom tilesets and sprites (especially the creatures, both the re-colored and the brand new ones). You made good use of many of KS+'s extended features, especially for a first level :D

I still have to give the level another go and look for any possible secrets and/or bonus endings, but overall, I quite enjoyed this icy adventure :) Good work!

Spoiler: Criticism and bugs (click to show/hide)

Hope to see more levels from you in the near future!
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 22:28:43 »
@Vegetal Gibber: I'm SO glad you enjoyed my icy adventure  C)
Thank you very much for taking the time to try everything to find issues, and also thank you for your advices, I will update my level as soon as possible! Do you know if I can replace my old level with a updated version in the Knytt Stories Level Archive? I didn't find any way to do it, except to download my level again, but I would prefer to replace it :/

Also, i'm so sorry, but there is no secrets or bonus ending in this level :oops:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 14:53:14 »
As far as I know, existing levels cannot be updated/replaced in the KS Level Archive, since there's currently no way to authenticate users. Most of us just resort to uploading renamed files (e.g. "Author - The Greatest Level Ever v2.knytt.bin").

If you want to avoid creating multiple entries for the same level on the archive, you can use Dropbox or any reliable personal file hosting service to share your first release. Then, when you've collected enough feedback from other users and are happy with the current status of your level, you can upload the final version to the KS Level Archive. This is what I usually do :)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 21:05:13 »
Enjoyed this one a lot. A very solid first level and your pixel art is wonderful. I hope you'll make more! X)

I was wondering if I could ask you for permission to use your castle tileset(s) for a level I'm working on... But I noticed some of those were derived from Nifflas's restricted tilesets? It's a bit confusing since there are many tilesets in the level's folder. I think those were not meant to be used by anyone except him. Then again, it's been a long time since KS was released... so maybe the restrictions do not apply now? Hmm.

Offline Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 21:34:13 »
@yohji Hi! Thank you for trying my level! I'm happy that you liked it  <3

Actually, I don't know why, but didn't pay attention for the message in nifflas expansion tileset :/ I really don't know if I have the permission after thinking of your commentary, maybe I should update my level soon in order to redraw myself every items from nifflas expansion level...or do you think it is possible to PM nifflas to ask for permission?

My only derived pixel arts tileset is in the tileset 240, I was based on a tileset from Ania - The Cursed House (the door, the chair, the wardrobe, the table, the library, the little light painting, the desk and the bed).
     Every other custom content was made by me from nothing (I helped myself with non-pixelised models), and I allow you to use them, although I classed them in the same tileset as nifflas expansion tilesets, that I also used...(sometimes with some color retouchs)
     I hope I was clear, I can hardly speak english.. Sorry for confusing you, moreover, I left some unused tileset in my tileset folder, and there's even a locker template, I don't know why it is here :oops:

Also, if you want to use my tileset I think you should separate every items that is from nifflas expansion level...

Last thing: Be sure to tell me when you'll finish your level, I can't wait to see how you will use my items in your level and play it  ;)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 22:37:58 by Fred »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 23:12:37 »
Actually, I don't know why, but didn't pay attention for the message in nifflas expansion tileset :/ I really don't know if I have the permission after thinking of your commentary, maybe I should update my level soon in order to redraw myself every items from nifflas expansion level...or do you think it is possible to PM nifflas to ask for permission?

Like I said, years have passed and it's totally possible this isn't an issue. I think we should wait for one of the moderators to comment (there are some people here who worked closely with Nifflas).

I hope I was clear, I can hardly speak english.. Sorry for confusing you, moreover, I left some unused tileset in my tileset folder, and there's even a locker template, I don't know why it is here :oops:

It's OK, your English is very good. Moi je peux seulement rêver d'avoir un niveau comme le tien, en français ;) Which reminds me, you've left one sign untranslated in the level, at x984y996 the game shows "Appuie sur la flèche du bas pour continuer" instead of the English version.

Last thing: Be sure to tell me when you'll finish your level, I can't wait to see how you will use my items in your level and play it  ;)

Of course! It's the large level under construction I've posted about here:
https://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=6689.0

Offline Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 23:46:13 »

Like I said, years have passed and it's totally possible this isn't an issue. I think we should wait for one of the moderators to comment (there are some people here who worked closely with Nifflas).

Ok I see, thank you for enlightening me, I'm not very familiar with this kind of things :O

It's OK, your English is very good. Moi je peux seulement rêver d'avoir un niveau comme le tien, en français ;) Which reminds me, you've left one sign untranslated in the level, at x984y996 the game shows "Appuie sur la flèche du bas pour continuer" instead of the English version.

Oh you're so kind  <3, your french looks good too :D and about my untranslated sign, I totally missed this one! Thank you for telling me, I will correct it!

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 13:09:06 »
I've been replaying the level using the newest version. Everything looks more polished now, and the changes are much appreciated :D

I spotted an interesting bug I hadn't noticed in the original release, though:

Spoiler: Bug (click to show/hide)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 13:45:27 »
Hi Fred!
I have to say "Frozen" is a really solid first-level. It's short, but full of unique ideas and well-made custom content - I liked that! As VG said before you made good use of KS+. The story was fun and I loved some little  details (like how the ice palace can be seen in the background when walking on the bridge).

I'm definitely looking forward to playing more levels made by you 8).

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 04:32:27 »
Hey Fred! I enjoyed this level a lot. Especially for your first level, it is very good! The tilesets and custom objects were impressive, and definitely the best part about the level. You had some very memorable, beautiful locations... namely the tower with the spiral staircase, and the town the player starts in.

Spoiler: Bad things (click to show/hide)

Anyways, hope to see more levels from you soon!

Offline SC

• Ha-ha-ha! Videogames! *laugh track*
    • View Profile
    • My personal website!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 05:21:10 »
GOOD STUFF! Good stuff. Great stuff. Not bad indeed for a first level. There are a few hitches and some spikes can be removed in some places as to not inflate the difficulty, but overall it was a good first level. Very enjoyable.