VG's misc custom content for KS/KS+

• 45 Replies

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
Re: VG's misc custom content for KS/KS+
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 20:06:47 »
Yet another retro tileset (probably my last retro-style set for a while). This one is a port/remake/whatchamacallit of the graphics used in an old 16-color shareware DOS game called "Secret Agent", but all the tiles were redrawn from scratch by me in order to fit KS' 24x24 format.

Some KS levels by me:

Offline ixMarcel

• I'll get you during my next save game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 12:19:47 »
Commander Juni 3: Juni Must Die!

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 15:59:21 »
Now that you mention it, this set also resembles the look of the first Commander Keen games to some degree. Good times  8)

Here's the actual game screen I used as a reference for my demo pic:

I think it'd be possible to port some of the levels from the original game to KS, especially by using KS+ OCOs to customize the enemies and traps.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this: feel free to edit the set and/or copy any of the tiles onto your own tilesets. The reason it doesn't say "KS Use/Edit OK" in the credits bar is simply because I ran out of space there :P2
Some KS levels by me:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 19:00:10 »
Not to mention Duke Nukem 1 and 2, the games that came before Secret Agent. :) Or after... or whatever. :P
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2020, 14:25:04 »
Heya folks! It's been quite a while since I last posted anything here. Time for some new and exciting stuff.

A random tileset I made with absolutely no prior planning nor any art direction whatsoever, surprising no one. The clouds are made of white squares for some reason. I added the pears at the last minute. Pears are good for you. Maybe I should add them to the list of possible sequels to Tomatoes, right after lemons and celery...

Yet another CGA 4-color retro set I started some time ago but never used for anything. I went with the yellow-red-green palette this time. The background in the demo pic is a gradient I used previously in some of my retro-themed levels such as The Dithered Temple.

You'll find the actual tilesets below in the "attached files" area. As usual, feel free to use/remix them in your levels.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline plural

• twice shy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2020, 09:22:11 »
That CGA one is so good.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2020, 14:57:48 »
Glad you liked it. I have a weakness for the aesthetics of the original IBM PC era, even though it's not exactly everyone's cup of tea.

I also made a low-intensity version of the CGA tileset and a 16-color (EGA) version, because why not.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2020, 21:08:23 »
It's been some time since I last posted a gradient/background. Here's an oasis background that is actually some tropical beach landscape I didn't get to finish drawing before laziness kicked in:

[ Oasis - Original version ]
[ Oasis - Without sun ]
[ Oasis - Slightly desaturated version ]
[ Oasis - EGA 16 color version ]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 12:05:16 by Vegetal Gibber »
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2020, 22:21:58 »
I like the aesthetic of the landscape, the trees look nice. The EGA version is really a saturated one. What about a variant without the sun?

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2020, 12:14:39 »
Ask and ye shall receive :)  I added a link pointing to a "sunless" version of the gradient. Fortunately I kept everything related to the sun in a separate group of layers!

The EGA version is just something I made for kicks. I doubt it'll be actually used anywhere, except for maybe a similarly themed retro level featuring the same exact palette. But hey, you never know :P2
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2020, 20:05:01 »

I was watching an LP of the DOS version of Prince of Persia 2 the other day (because I occasionally enjoy spending my time in very odd ways, what can I say) and that inspired me to create a new tileset based on the last main area of the game.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2020, 20:40:50 »
Oh! This is epic!
When I saw the screen I thought there must be some custom object that make the shadow effect. And it is much simpler than I thought. I was always like, how these screens could be put together, that must be some hardcore work to make it so visually appealing - that's why I always prefered simple design. But now I might try these more detailed ones.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2020, 13:09:06 »
Merry Christmas folks!  It's a bit rushed and not much of a present, but here's a special holiday edition of the tileset I used in The Bluebird of Happiness (which also got a Halloween remix for my level Late to the Party... talk about recycling gifts! :P )

Some KS levels by me:

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2023, 16:52:19 »
Once again, it's time to have this thread rise from its ashes. I bring you a new tileset in two different flavors: a retro-styled one using the good old EGA 16-color palette, and a more colorful (slightly less retro) remake.

Spoiler: Sample screenshots (click to show/hide)

As you can see, it is... well... very blue. If you are interested in an alternate set in any other color (red, green, purple...), let me know.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2023, 21:27:22 »
I've completely missed this thread, these are all so cool VG. Very inspiring thread to browse through :D

This last one is crazy good, especially with the sample screens. I love the window design, very creative and keeping with the theme. It of course feels very retro, but also fresh, haven't seen many tilesets like this for KS.
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island